Thread: Engineer still having trouble opening Revit files

Login to Give a bone

Default Engineer still having trouble opening Revit files

Yesterday I uploaded a Revit Building 9 central file to my office's website for our structural engineer to download. He is running Revit Structure 3. When he downloaded the file and tried to open it, it threw up errors saying something about the file having to be manually upgraded and it would not allow him to open the file.

Anyone else had this problem? Could it have something to do with the fact that it's a worksetted file? I had this problem on a previous project, but I was in 8.1 and structural was on RS3, and I think I saved a new file, detached from Central, and he was able to get it to work. Do I really have to do that for every project file that has worksets enabled?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Engineer still having trouble opening Revit files

On workset files all the worksets must be saved back to the central file, and any links must be upgraded prior to sending the file to the consultant.

It helps to detach the file you are sending from the central by opening and checking detach from central and saving in a new location.

Login to Give a bone

I don't understand, I always save and release all borrowed elements and worksets in my local file before uploading the central file. There are linked DWG's in the file but those are all current. What else do I need to do (besides detaching from Central and saving a new file as we both said)?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just try posting the file again.

I could stop if I wanted to tonyisenhoff's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We had a similiar problem. We ended up opening up our central file detached to create a new central file and giving them that. I also thought that was a weird step...

It also was cleaner if we unloaded any linked files (.dwg) to eliminate errors related to "Can't find...)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    Yesterday I uploaded a Revit Building 9 central file to my office's website for our structural engineer to download. He is running Revit Structure 3. When he downloaded the file and tried to open it, it threw up errors saying something about the file having to be manually upgraded and it would not allow him to open the file.

Anyone else had this problem? Could it have something to do with the fact that it's a worksetted file? I had this problem on a previous project, but I was in 8.1 and structural was on RS3, and I think I saved a new file, detached from Central, and he was able to get it to work. Do I really have to do that for every project file that has worksets enabled?
    Is this an isolated problem, or did it happen every time the engineer downloaded a new file? If you were able to open the file in its original location, but the engineer could not open his copy, then it is most likely file corruption caused by whatever copying utility he used to download the file. We tend to think of copying files as an airtight operation that always works perfectly, but in my experience copying large files with multiple streams under windows sometimes corrupts the file. If that's the problem, the solution is to have the engineer try copying the file again.

Login to Give a bone

It happend in 8.1 on a recent school project, and also now in 9 on our current project. Creating a detached file has been doing the trick so far.