See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Bloating drawings

Login to Give a bone

Angry Bloating drawings

Good to see the forums back up and running..
    I have a problem with my drawings, when I go to open them, even if its just for plotting, or minor revisions, I have been noticing the file size has been becoming EXTREMELY large, up to 20 to 30 kb. I can still open the drawing, purge, and even wblock the drawing which has some good effect, bringing it down to roughly 6 or 7,000 kb. However when the person next to me opens it, saves and closes it, the file size becomes dramatically lower. Has anyone else had this issue? What is the most effective way to deal with it?
    Thank you..

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bloating drawings

20-30K is not a bloated drawing. That is just the natural overhead in any drawing these days. Most of that comes from the thumbnail bitmap, BTW.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB
    20-30K is not a bloated drawing. That is just the natural overhead in any drawing these days. Most of that comes from the thumbnail bitmap, BTW.
    Considering the fact that only a couple of drawings are having this problem going up to 20,000 and 30,000kb. I dont think it has anything to do with the natural overhead of the drawing, On occasion I do have to transmit a drawing by email, and quite obviously that is much to large to send. Also as I had mentioned at the beginning of the thread there are ways I can bring down the size of the file, and when the drawing is opened on another computer and saved, it also brings down the file size.

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps he has his figures wrong. In one place he mentions kb and another he mentions 000's of kb. That would mean he meant 20-30 Mb.

Bill, If you are the only one having problems, it would indicate to me that you have a different value set for ISAVEPERCENT. If you turn off incremental saves by setting ISAVEPERCENT to 0, then each time you save you will get the smallest file. However save time will increase. From the help file:
    Incremental Save Percentage: Set to 50 to optimize performance. AutoCAD saves only the changed drawing information until the amount of changed space is equal to the value set in this option. When AutoCAD performs a full save, the entire drawing is saved. When this option is set to 0, AutoCAD performs a full save every time. If you set this option to a low value, such as 20 or less, performance significantly decreases during a save.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

Login to Give a bone

Can someone tell me how come purge - all does not "purge-all"? You have to exit the purge command and then do a qsave and the keep repeating this process until all *___ are gone.
    What is wrong here?

thanks,

michael.byrne@crossmatch.net

Login to Give a bone

As I commented in your other post regarding this question

What causes this problem is blocks being referred to inside other blocks (nested). And since leaders and dimensions create anonymous blocks, they can show up without you even knowing about it.

In pre-2004 (not sure about 2002), you should be able to just run the purge command a few times, but you shouldn't have to save to get it to work.

In 2004, in the purge dialog box, click the purge nested items box, and it will purge all blocks, including those nested inside other blocks.

Also, in the future, please let us know what software you are running so we can better help you, as different versions may have different solutions