Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuous back saving of a DWG can compromise the DWG integrity. Is that true?

Login to Give a bone

Default Can continuous back saving of a DWG compromise the its integrity?

I heard that continuous backsaving of a file can compromise the file integrity of a drawing. Is this true? If so, is there any documentation out there that supports this and is there something that we can do to minimize or even prevent this from happening? It sounds like it can happen but its the first time that I've heard of the situation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are currently using 2006 and backsaving to 2000 file format. W/in a matter of days we'll be moving up to 2007 and will have to backsave those to 2000.

Thanks,
    Christian
    Last edited by Christian Sumulong; 2006-07-24 at 11:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Continuous back saving of a DWG can compromise the DWG integrity. Is that true?

Hi Christian

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the Software forum to this one, as I believe it will be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Manager

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Continuous back saving of a DWG can compromise the DWG integrity. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by sumulong
    I heard that continuous backsaving of a file can compromise the file integrity of a drawing. Is this true? If so, is there any documentation out there that supports this and is there something that we can do to minimize or even prevent this from happening? It sounds like it can happen but its the first time that I've heard of the situation.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are currently using 2006 and backsaving to 2000 file format. W/in a matter of days we'll be moving up to 2007 and will have to backsave those to 2000.

Thanks,
    Christian
    I would think that anything that is backsaved consequently tends to compromise the integrity of it. But I don't think it would be so drastic as to loose some sleep over it though.
    Last edited by Firmso; 2006-07-25 at 12:50 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Of course, I wouldn't expect that the fuctionality of dyn blocks or any new feature would work when backsaving. I guess i'm more worried about losing data/ content.

Login to Give a bone

Of course, I wouldn't expect that the fuctionality of dyn blocks or any new feature would work when backsaving. I guess i'm more worried about losing data/ content.
    What do you mean by "continuous backsaving " ?
    Continually round-tripping between older and newer versions?
    Saving to an earlier version and keeping it in that version?

Either way, you shouldn't have a major problem.

All AUGI, all the time Richard McDonald's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I know I have definitely have problems on previously releases and it looks like its still happening with 2007.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...highlight=save

Richard

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldRi
    I know I have definitely have problems on previously releases and it looks like its still happening with 2007.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...highlight=save

Richard
    Hi Richard.

That thread refers to a specific problem and includes the answer -

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    as predicted... http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_th...ew_hot_fi.html
    the fix can be downloaded here...

now... for $40, I will read your palm...
    I don't think it's the same question, though I'd still ike to know what "continuous backsaving " is supposed to mean.

Login to Give a bone

I think Christian Is talking about saving down to a previous version of ACAD. setting this permanently in the options area? (let me know if I'm completely off track).

At a few places I've worked at they have upgraded just one machine and I think every time it has corrupted drawings whilst saving down. Not everytime but often enough to be a problem. My opinion is you either upgrade all the machines in a company or none.

The link was about a similar problem with 2007 and discussing the use of True Convert by Autodesk which is available free from their website.

Richard

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldRi
    I think Christian Is talking about saving down to a previous version of ACAD. setting this permanently in the options area? (let me know if I'm completely off track).

At a few places I've worked at they have upgraded just one machine and I think every time it has corrupted drawings whilst saving down. Not everytime but often enough to be a problem. My opinion is you either upgrade all the machines in a company or none.

The link was about a similar problem with 2007 and discussing the use of True Convert by Autodesk which is available free from their website.

Richard
    The linked thread actually stated that True Convert would not solve that particular, A2007-specific problem.

Login to Give a bone

Original Question - Continuous back saving of a DWG can compromise the DWG integrity. Is that true?

Answer - Yes with an example the link.

We are currently using 2006 and backsaving to 2000 file format.
    Try True Convert.

W/in a matter of days we'll be moving up to 2007 and will have to backsave those to 2000.
    Try the hot fix provided in the link.

Best to keep a back up that is never saved down.

Probably me not explaining myself properly.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast