Thread: Link Attachment vs Overlay? (links within links)

Login to Give a bone

Question Link Attachment vs Overlay? (links within links)

Can I make a link follow its parent link instead of re-linking separately? Would this be wise?

Coming from AutoCAD I am used to the Attachment vs Overlay Xref management so find it hard not to think with that rationality!.

I have a very large site that I have modelled in two parts (separate hills with ponds between) each having their own massing model files linked into them (for master-planning) with shared co-ordinates to enable project north and true north settings in each file.

My problem is when I link the lesser site model into the main site model the massing file associated with the lesser site A) - does not come with it and B)- if linked in separately doesn't share coordinates with the main site so would have to be positioned again creating two files I would need to move it in if the location changes. Does that make sense??

Anyway can someone please enlighten me on the correct process if there is one?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Link Attachment vs Overlay? (links within links)

Revit does not include linked/nested revit or dwg files when you link the host. As far as I know this is intentional to avoid circular referencing since Revit can link files both ways. So you need to link both site files into your bldg as you have been doing. You should only need to do it once for each though as they should stay linked together thereafter. If you change the file names later, use File > Manage Links and Reload From to establish the new file.