See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draughting Pool

I could stop if I wanted to JASONM30395's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Draughting Pool

Here's one for all you knowledgeable people out there. I work in a fairly large multi-disciplined firm (28 draughtmen/women) and as things are set up now each department has "their own" draughtsmen (4-5 each depending on size) that stay within that department. It has been suggested by some that maybe things would work better if things were re-organized so that there is a Draughting Pool or department that would be separate form each discipline so that the sharing of knowledge amongst the draughtmen could be encouraged. Any thoughts on which would be better and why or why not?
    Loyalty above all else except honor
    For my honor is my life!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Draughting Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Baghera
    ... is a Draughting Pool ....
    Interesting idea ... maybe "beer on tap" will improve productivity!

Sorry, couldn't resist ....
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-07-27 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Fix [QUOTE] tags.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Draughting Pool

my only thought would be authority. if two of the caddies disagree about how something will be done, there might be a power struggle. I would think there would *have* to be a clearly defined 'manager' over them, rather than they each follow the authority of whomever they started under.
    Here's one for all you knowledgeable people out there. I work in a fairly large multi-disciplined firm (28 draughtmen/women) and as things are set up now each department has "their own" draughtsmen (4-5 each depending on size) that stay within that department. It has been suggested by some that maybe things would work better if things were re-organized so that there is a Draughting Pool or department that would be separate form each discipline so that the sharing of knowledge amongst the draughtmen could be encouraged. Any thoughts on which would be better and why or why not?
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    my only thought would be authority. if two of the caddies disagree about how something will be done, there might be a power struggle. I would think there would *have* to be a clearly defined 'manager' over them, rather than they each follow the authority of whomever they started under.
    Very true...If they all have the same authority, then ther could be chaos...Someone needs to be in charge like a Team Leader or something...However, this person may want to get paid more than the rest because of that responsibility...So that probably needs to be added to the equation...

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Draughting Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    Very true...If they all have the same authority, then ther could be chaos...Someone needs to be in charge like a Team Leader or something...However, this person may want to get paid more than the rest because of that responsibility...So that probably needs to be added to the equation...
    i'm not saying it has to be one of the drafters. It might actually work better if it was one of the engineers or other 'higher-up' so that there isn't a lot of resentment about suddenly answering to someone who *was* your equal.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I guess my concern would be who assigns the work. In our company we do work for multiple project managers from multiple departments and every PM is convinced that their project is the most important one in the company. It is my responsibility to assign the work to a designer and assign priorities. This would work well if project managers would always go through me but each one has a designer they prefer and tend to ask them directly to do their project.

I would think you could run into the same problem/situation unless a very clear hierarchy is established as to who assigns work and priorities.

Just my 2c
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst
    I guess my concern would be who assigns the work. In our company we do work for multiple project managers from multiple departments and every PM is convinced that their project is the most important one in the company. It is my responsibility to assign the work to a designer and assign priorities. This would work well if project managers would always go through me but each one has a designer they prefer and tend to ask them directly to do their project.

I would think you could run into the same problem/situation unless a very clear hierarchy is established as to who assigns work and priorities.

Just my 2c
    No doubt...There must be a process...and that process must not be broken...There must be enforcement of those rules...The drafters must know not to accept any work unless given to them but their supervisor...There must be consequences if that rule is broken...My job includes drafting and the PM's give me the projects to draw...Fortunately I can ask them what is hot and what is not and they will give me a true answer...

Melanie has a point that I did not think of...There may be resentment if a drafter gets a "promotion"...However who would be better to use then a drafter??? If he was a drafter, then he will understand the workload and what needs to be done...This does not have to be your best drafter, but the one that fits the qualities...Have them apply for the position like they were new employees...Make sure that they understand that the new position will not be based on drafting experience or qualities, but those of a manager...If you only find a few within the drafting pool, then go outside, but I think giving a drafter a chance to advance will draw some resentment, but will also encourage the other to aspire to more than just a draftsman or PM, they also have another route to choose...Or it could be a stepping stone to a PM position, who knows...

You can assign the work to the groups base on the Drafting Manager's load...Allow the drafting managers to distribut beneath them...Make sure they have a hand in each of the projects, never focusing on one alone...Have them track the projects within their groups to give the PM updates...

I could stop if I wanted to JASONM30395's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the answers guys (and Mel)anie.
    One of the reasons this was brought up was that there are some times when one dept. is swamped and is putting in a lot of overtime while another dept is "twiddling their thumbs". Also we get some of the "back door drafting" that Scott was talking about where a pm or engineer just goes to his/her favorite draughtsman, who can't or just won't say NO!!!!!, and thus gets over worked while someone else id playing games to kill time.

It was thought that this would better distribute the workload, but I'll agree with you all and say that the "chain of command" would have to be set up and enforced if this were to be able to fly.
    Loyalty above all else except honor
    For my honor is my life!

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Draughting Pool

Thanks for the answers guys (and Melanie)anie.
    One of the reasons this was brought up was that there are some times when one dept. is swamped and is putting in a lot of overtime while another dept is "twiddling their thumbs". Also we get some of the "back door drafting" that Scott was talking about where a pm or engineer just goes to his/her favorite draughtsman, who can't or just won't say NO!!!!!, and thus gets over worked while someone else id playing games to kill time.

It was thought that this would better distribute the workload, but I'll agree with you all and say that the "chain of command" would have to be set up and enforced if this were to be able to fly.
    Sure thing... keep us in the loop if this flies and how the kinks are worked out for you.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

I could stop if I wanted to Doodlemusmaximus's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just as a thought for you here, we have the same kind of arrangement here different departments and disiplines. What we've done is asigned someone to do the resorces side of it and each caddie has a strength that will be used primarily in his section. But the upside is that if there is a shortfall in your department and an overload in anouther you can be asigned to help out there, with the proviso that when the work picks up again you're to be released back into the section. It generally works out fine unless you get a department that thinks you're good at doing their work and try everything to keep hold of you that is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast