Thread: using log files

Login to Give a bone

Smile using log files

in the open and save tab of the options window, there is a line there that states "maintain log file"... what does this do and how can one use it to recover a drawing file. if i remember correctly, intergraph used it to redraw a drawing file should the .dgn file gets accidentally lost.

Thanks,
    Cris
    Last edited by cmendoza-howell.69237; 2004-06-08 at 06:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: using log files

Hi Chris

Please note I've *moved* this Topic (Thread) from the CAD Management Software Forum to this one as I believe it would be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Below snippet is from the AutoCAD OnLine Help File [F1] -

<snip>
    Writes the contents of the text window to a log file. To specify the location and name of the log file, use the Files tab in the Options dialog box. You can also set the log file location by using theLOGFILEMODE system variable. TheLOGFILENAME system variable (read-only) stores the log file name of the current drawing
    </snip>

+

Check out the following Technical Documents on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS20777 - Activating a log file to record activity during a drawing session

ID: TS21179 - LOGFILEMODE system variables

ID: TS21735 - Determining the drawing log file name

+

From what I can remember of the log file created by GDS and how one could easily use it to recreate a drawing you will find the AutoCAD Drawing Log File different. That said if you keep a AutoCAD Drawing Log File from the very start it may prove to have it's uses (am thinking something like a Script file).

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: using log files

This is what I remember of the GDS... we had enabled the logfile but still can't figure out how to use it effectively. I'll try it out later by maybe saving a copy of a file using the same name somewhere, then perform a bunch of commands. Then take the logfile that was created and run it as a script? .... hmmm.....

later dude.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cmendoza-howell.69237
    Then take the logfile that was created and run it as a script? .... hmmm.....
    Hi

I think you can scarp that idea, have just experimented with the AutoCAD Drawing Log File, too much work involved in building a Script File that would actually work and have any real use.

May I suggest that you make a Wish List request within the "ACAD 2005 Wish List Forum", a Log File that would work similar to the GDS Log File would be a great addition to AutoCAD in my humble opinion.

Have a good one, Mike
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2004-08-26 at 10:04 PM.