Thread: Do the Top 20 Design firms use the National CADD Standards or their own

Login to Give a bone

Question Do the Top 20 Design firms use the National CADD Standards or their own

I am doing a research project and I am looking to find out if the Top 20 Design Firms use the National CADD Standards or their own. If you are from any of these firms please respond and let me know the name of your firm.
    Your help would be appreciated greatly.
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Do the Top 20 Design firms use the National CADD Standards or their own

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore
    I am doing a research project and I am looking to find out if the Top 20 Design Firms use the National CADD Standards or their own. <SNIP>
    Hi

Top 20 in which design field ?

* Architecture.
    * Civil Engineering.
    * Manufacturing.
    * Mechanical Engineering.
    * Structural Engineering.
    * etc.

Plus which Top 20 list are you working from ?

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Do the Top 20 Design firms use the National CADD Standards or their own

Top 20 ENR General Building

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Do the Top 20 Design firms use the National CADD Standards or their own

We do.
    We are currently ranked at #16 in the top 500

Login to Give a bone

I would recommend just sending out an email to those firms and ask them how they set their cad standard. Mention that you are a student (assuming you are) and working on a research project, and you would like to know if they use the NCS or if they have developed their own. You could go so far as to ask why they made the decision they did. I cant see any reason why they wouldnt answer you upfront, you arent asking about proprietary information.

Login to Give a bone

I'm not sure where we rank, but I know it's somewhere near the top. We use our own standards unless the client has their own standard or has requested that we use the NCS. I've been lucky enough to have just learned my 9th Cad Standard. Hopefully this will be the last one as we start to move towards Revit (which dosen't really use much of a standard). In the end, we give the client whatever they want, heck they paid for it.

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm not where we are on what list, but I'm sure we're somewhere. We used NCS to influence our current standards that are still undergoing renovations. We cover the spectrum of facility design: Arch, Struc, Elec, Process, Mech, etc.

Login to Give a bone

I'm really interested in what you find out! We're in the ENR 200, (and in the top 5 in some specialties) and _don't use NCS, neither layering guidelines nor UDS, or for that matter the TriServices plotting, and I'd like to see us move towards NCS (vs re-inventing our own endlessly)

If you get an affirmative answer from the firms, it would provide some ammo, so please let us know what you find out.

Good intentions and heavy artillery will always get you further than good intentions...

Login to Give a bone

We had our own company standard, and I have been forced to use NCS on some projects. I find the NCS convaluted and combersome. The Last 2 jobs I had to use NCS on didn't follow the same version of the NCS. One Gov organization says use the NCS, but here's the Colors we use. The other Gov organization used different colors. So after we just brought our templates up to NCS 3.1 we started working on the drawings, submitted files and got our hand slapped because we weren't following the standard. So after about 40hrs of creating and running scripts on files to get the colors back to the right state we had to fix the templates as well. I often call the NCS the NSNCS or non-standard national cad standard.