Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layer for Title Block and Border

Login to Give a bone

Default Layer for Title Block and Border

Why do we put the title block and boarder on layer zero? Do we all do that? I can never give a reason in class.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layer for Title Block and Border

Hi

Pass, I don't ops: Should I? If yes would like to hear a real valid reason "Why!"

No ops:

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

I have been trying to get people not to do this here. We have an xref layer for putting all information that is xrefed (title blocks, etc.). Only thing I change with this is to lock that layer, so that once something's xrefed, it can't accidentally be moved or erased (people can always unlock the layer if they have to move an xref).
    We generally reserve layer 0 for creating blocks (objects within the block being on layer 0).
    HTH

Login to Give a bone

Because of the nature of the work I do, I send many of my files to other clients or consultants. It's more effecient for me to put all my xrefs on layer 0. If I could, I'd put each of them on thier own layer. It makes for better managment.

Login to Give a bone

The answer join come from http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/AutoCAD_tips.html

On Which Layer Should You Create Blocks?

When you create blocks (also called symbols) to insert into a drawing, you need to consider what layer to use for the components that make up the blocks. Your choice depends on the results you want and you have four choices:

Component Properties
    Insertion Results
    On any layer (except 0); color, linetype & lineweight set to ByLayer Block keeps properties of that layer. AutoCAD creates the layer if necessary when you insert it into another drawing. If the layer exists in the drawing but has other properties, the block takes on the properties of the layer in that drawing. If you insert the block on a different layer, it keeps its original properties, but is reported (in Properties window) as being on the insertion layer.
    On any layer (except 0); color, linetype & lineweight set explicitly Block keeps color, linetype & lineweight that were set. AutoCAD creates the layer is necessary when you insert it into another drawing.
    On any layer (except 0); color & linetype set to ByBlock Block takes on the layer and properties of current layer.AutoCAD creates the layer as necessary when you insert it into another drawing.
    On layer 0; color, linetype & lineweight set to ByLayer or ByBlock Block takes on the layer and properties of the current layer.
    No new layers are created.

Al Pfennig wrote in this tip: "When creating symbols for inserting into a drawing when the same symbol may be inserted on more than one layer, create the symbol on the zero (0) layer and have color, linetype and linewidth set to ByLayer. This will allow the symbol to take on the characteristics of the layer on which it will be inserted."

Salutatuions,

François Huot

Login to Give a bone

We are revamping standards around here, and Layer 0 is now pretty well off limits except for items such as frames for viewport and reference lines. In the template file, I have set Layer 0 to 'do not plot' and with a different color that is not used for anything else, so if something is on that layer it's usually pretty obvious onscreen and on paper. I have created the border and titleblock on a Border layer, so that's the layer it goes on period. I have a small handfull of blocks, manhole for example, that are created on 0 so that they inherit the properties of the layer they belong on in the drawing such as storm or sanitary, but that's it.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Layer for Title Block and Border

As an end-user in facilities, I mandate that none of my contractors put anything on layer '0'. I don't modify their drawings directly, I import them into composite files, and I don't want a bunch if miscellaneous stuff from 10 different projects showing on layer '0' when I try to turn objects off.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

i tell everyone nothing goes on layer 0 except xrefs, images and blocks. title blocks have their own layers tb-border and tb-txt.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by paul.burgener
    Why do we put the title block and border on layer zero? Do we all do that? I can never give a reason in class.

Paul,

Reading all these responses validates why you can't give a reason
    for placing the title block information on layer zero, as it appears
    that most do not.
    However make sure you continue to tell them to define blocks
    other than title blocks on layer zero so they do assume the proper
    layer properties when inserted. Thus avoiding needing multiple versions
    of the same block for different visual representations.

I could stop if I wanted to Beth Powell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Paul,

You've got most of your answers here. Don't know at what point you are telling students to put titleblocks on layer zero.

If you're having them create the titleblocks, then yes, they should be on layer 0 so that when they are inserted into the drawing they will take on the properties of the current layer.

If you're having them insert the titleblock on layer 0, then that would seem like an incorrect teaching method based on real life situations.

In the past, I have always created the titleblock on layer 0 and saved it. I then had a titleblock layer where I inserted the titleblock on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast