See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade PC for AutoCAD 2006 use

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Upgrade PC for AutoCAD 2006 use

Quote Originally Posted by madcadder
    I'm starting a new job on the 14th where I will be using '06. I convinced them in the interviews on a dual-monitor set-up and after spending the weekend researching I requested a PNY FX1000 video card.

This card retails for $599 US, but an OEM can be had for under $200. All the drivers and the Powerdraft applications on on the PNY website.

1Gb ram sounds good...
    I would throw (2) 1-gig sticks in it...I think the time saved when opening up large drawings is worth the cost...Good call on the dual monitor setup...I wish I could get that here...

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I recently bought an HP workstation, from Best Buy of all places. I scouted everywhere and they just happen to have the best deal.

AMD Athlon64 X2 @ 2800 Mhz
    2 Gb Ram
    250 Gb HDD
    nVidia on-board graphics
    Dual Layer DVD burner
    Windows XP MCE
    =$750

I replaced the onboard graphics card with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 X2 ($2,500); sold the 2 Gb RAM and bought 4 Gb Dual-channel RAM ($400); ditched the Media Center Edition of Windows and got the XP Pro ($140).

Now, minus the graphics card, I've spent $1,265 on a really nice machine. Shoot the graphics card cost more than twice my machine!

Especially since you are in the market for a new processor anyways, I would suggest doing as I did - buy a new machine (which, if at all, cost only slightly more than piecing it together yourself) and upgrade as required. This would start you off with a new machine, which will have a fast processor and maybe even a few bells and whistles like a dual-layer dvd burner, and also give you the opportunity for upgrades, possibly giving you more RAM slots, PCIe, beefier power supply, etc.

I think if you look around a bit, I think you'll be able to find exactly what you're looking for. If you really want to go piece-mill, try either TigerDirect. They seem to have very competitive prices (even when you add shipping) and I have never had a problem with returns or anything. The only problem I have with Dell is there lack of an AMD option. I like AMD. Cheaper and faster, why would I want to go with Intel?

Here's a deal to set a benchmark (in the UK):

eBAY
    This is really nice, bidding ends in a little over an hour!

I don't mind buying my PC from anywhere, as long as their return policy is sound and they have a good reputation. I'm not going to Nissan to fix the brake pads on my xterra, why would I do that with my computer? Also, if you're thinking of doing an upgrade yourself, you won't need all that extra support that comes with buying straight from Dell or HP. Don't get a gateway!

Thank you for reading this highly over-opinionated attempt at advice.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stusic
    The only problem I have with Dell is there lack of an AMD option. I like AMD. Cheaper and faster, why would I want to go with Intel?
    I'm thinking of getting the new Intel chip, the core due 2. Currently this blows everything out of the water including the AMDs. I have heard AMD will come out with something new that will compete with the Intel chips, but it will be around the middle of next year. I really can't wait that long since I need to get a laptop and upgrade my home computer.

Login to Give a bone

Forgot to mention these sites for reviews on the latest hardware out there.

Tom's Hardware
    [H]ard|OCP
    AnandTech
    Sharky Extreme

Ya one you get spyware or viruses you really can't get rid of it or you can never be sure you did. Also what else has gotten into your system that nothing is deteting. Its always best to just reformate and start over IMHO.

Another anit-virus program I have been hearing great things about is NOD32 by ESET. Not a bad price for it either. You might want to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontoon
    Wow thanks for all the advice. My OH has norton on his PC and has had severe trouble with a recurring trojan, hense why we went for Macafee on mine... regretting it already, however my OH has since started reading up on viruses and defence stuff, he's geeking out on it, so it sounds like the free stuff is better than the general stuff.

I'll have a scout about. A new system wasn't originally in the plan, but it's looking more and more likely. Originally I was going to just buy more RAM, but discovered that it takes RD-Ram which is wayyyy more expensive than normal.
    This "cheap" way of getting access to AutoCAD is turning into quite an expense, though I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.
    I'll get prices for everything I need to upgrade and get prices for similar spec complete systems online. If there is only £100 or so difference then I think a whole new computer might be the way forward.

... though it'd be one way to get rid of all the freeserve advertising ....
    My OH is on a mission to get rid of it entirely from the PC... think reformatting and starting from scratch once we've got new motherboard, chip and RAM is definately the way forward. Die evil freeserve die!!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Glenndp
    I'm thinking of getting the new Intel chip, the core due 2. Currently this blows everything out of the water including the AMDs. I have heard AMD will come out with something new that will compete with the Intel chips, but it will be around the middle of next year. I really can't wait that long since I need to get a laptop and upgrade my home computer.
    The AMD X2 is the same thing as the Intel Duo, both of which are dual-core; the X2 came out just slightly before the Duo, both in June of last year and are readily available now.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

This may sound stupid, but I am thinking about upgrading my PC at home and I was thinkig that since my Pentium D is a socket 775, the Core 2 Duo will fit and run...Has anyone heard different???

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    This may sound stupid, but I am thinking about upgrading my PC at home and I was thinkig that since my Pentium D is a socket 775, the Core 2 Duo will fit and run...Has anyone heard different???
    It should, but do some homework before you buy. There are two requirements: first, the motherboard must be capable of supplying the voltage required by the new CPU; and second, the motherboard must be capable of supplying the external clock rate (FSB) required by the new CPU. Unfortunately only newer motherboards are capable of supplying the voltage required by Core 2 CPUs. This may or may not work for you depending on how old your motherboard is... Just check it out first.

Login to Give a bone

The AMD X2 is the same thing as the Intel Duo, both of which are dual-core; the X2 came out just slightly before the Duo, both in June of last year and are readily available now.
    Intel justed released a new version of their core duo. These new chips are a huge increase from the previous version. The AMD X2s can't even touch them.

Check out the following review
    Game Over? Core 2 Duo Knocks Out Athlon 64

Login to Give a bone

Intel justed released a new version of their core duo. These new chips are a huge increase from the previous version. The AMD X2s can't even touch them.

Check out the following review
    Game Over? Core 2 Duo Knocks Out Athlon 64
    Interesting - this architecture is definitely a jump up from the processors we're used to. I'm not sure of the price/performance ratio, from what I understand, Intels's C2D is pretty good as far as price goes.

I've always been a fan of AMD, although I believe much of your computer's performance comes from a variety of variables and the CPU being only one of them, processors aren't a huge issue with me, but this certainly does look good. I'm not in the market for another processor, but when I am, I'll probably stick with AMD (they like the environment and are very charitable). By then the AMD 4x4 should be out If you're in the processor market now, Intel's C2D seems like the logical way to go.

Login to Give a bone

I've always been a fan of AMD, although I believe much of your computer's performance comes from a variety of variables and the CPU being only one of them, processors aren't a huge issue with me, but this certainly does look good. I'm not in the market for another processor, but when I am, I'll probably stick with AMD (they like the environment and are very charitable). By then the AMD 4x4 should be out If you're in the processor market now, Intel's C2D seems like the logical way to go.
    Always been a AMD fan myself. My first computer had the P3 because at the time the AMDs did really suck. Then the Athlons came out and I just had to have one. First got the 1200, then the 1700, now the 64 3200. Was going to get an X2 next but these C2Ds are too tempting. Wish AMD was faster with their new chip because I know it will be faster, but I don't think I can wait that long.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast