Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extract Dynamic Block Attributes, values change as Block changes

Login to Give a bone

Question Extract Dynamic Block Attributes, values change as Block changes

can any one help i an looking at trying to extract the size of a part ie: length, width, thickness using attributes but if i strech the part all the sizes change is this possible if so can someone point me in the right direction

many thanks

Dave

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extract Dynamic Block Attributes, values change as Block changes

Hi Dave.
    Attributes only work as part of a block so stretching doesn't work. You would have to apply different x,y,z scales to the block.
    I'm pretty sure you would need some programming (or a dynamic block perhaps) to adjust the attributes to suit.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Dave,

Please note I have *moved* this thread from the New Forum Users Forum to this one as I believe it would be better served here.

Below snippet is from the small print on the Forum General page -

<snip>
    New to the Forums? This is the place to experiment with the posting editor and learn how to interact with our forums. Please experiment here with forum features and commands.
    </snip>

Thanks,

Richard
    Forum Moderator
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

I could stop if I wanted to dfarris75's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Extract meaning you want to extract the attribute data from the .dwg to put into Excel or something?

If yes, then I suppose you could add separate attributes and set visibility in the block editor accordingly.

Or extract meaning you want it to display the part size, etc. in the .dwg if you stretch it?

In this case I would suppose you may want to try using fields attached to the object(s).

You may even want to try combining fields and attributes...
    Last edited by dfarris75; 2006-08-07 at 05:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

If the dynamic block is set up right you can also extract the properties that have been changed

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dave.buckberry
    can any one help i an looking at trying to extract the size of a part ie: length, width, thickness using attributes but if i strech the part all the sizes change is this possible if so can someone point me in the right direction

many thanks

Dave
    use fields in your attributes that are linked to Dynamic parameters. then use the attribute extraction wizard found under tools to create a linked table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

You dont even need fields or attributes. The properties of the block alone are extractable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by r424andy; 2006-08-08 at 02:05 PM.

Login to Give a bone

It is possible to set up you blocks and extract the data no matter what the new values are. I personally like to use attributes, with naming conventions. That way if using lisp or vb we can grab the blocks and manipulate the atts how ever we want. You can use the attribute extraction wizard as well. I posted this block in the AutoCAD forums, it is a good example of what I am talking about.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Here is a basic sample of a wall or panel. Most of the attributes are fields, so the user only needs to type in the thickness. Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

I took information from a dynamic block to fill out a steel bill. see the thread below.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35499

I hope this is helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast