See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bad Drafter Disciplinary Actions

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bad Drafter Disciplinary Actions

It sounds to me that he needs to be taken off of the computer and given grunt work until he retires or leaves on his own accord. Could you put him to work drawing connection details? (if he has to stay on the computer) Could he do filing? Or archiving of old projects? Is there a storeroom that needs sorting out? Anything to keep him away from an active project. Maybe he can go though finished projects and get them ready for archiving. You know fix all of the non-standard layers and symbols, so that the archived projects are up to standards.
    Hope he retires soon!

I could stop if I wanted to H.Hunter's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well first of all, you can't just xplode an Xref. You have to bind it and then explode it. So if he has enough knowledge to do that much with 9 of them, then it definitely look slike he's trying cut corners around problems. Whether he realized the impacts of what he did is another story. Although I would assume someone with his experience would know that. But I know there are several older people here that like to "just do things" to get around new-fangled problems.

As far as tasks go, you can use the projects to check their work. Open a file they've been working on and fumble through the drawing...blocks, layers, quality of drafting (do 4 walls consist of 100 lines??). If you know how to draft then picking apart someone else's work should give you an idea of how much useful time they're putting into a drawing. And I know from lots of experience that cleaning up a drawing takes 3 times longer than doing it right the first time! I don't know how many times I've had to clean projects up at the end of the design...

Login to Give a bone

tell them you admire there creativity, & they should be rewarded. Then give them a three day vacation. Unpaid of course.

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sgroff
    tell them you admire there creativity, & they should be rewarded. Then give them a three day vacation. Unpaid of course.
    I completely disagree, this statement is complimenting them for screwing up, (in a way) I personally would email the entire office, and state that these standards (of xrefing) are there for a reason, and if you have problems you better ask someone a solution, because unless someone instructs you to bind/explode an external reference, you better not do it or you will be fired. Period. End of story. I would not say the persons name, either. Is there an in-house architectural department? Why couldn't he just go ask someone to fix something... if not, then the person in charge of maintaining xref'd files should be the person to find out what the problem is, (was it a wrong background?) and coordinate with the Arch on the job to make the necessary corrections! But first and foremost, he or she was obviously wrong for doing this without communicating with other TEAM MEMBERS. If he is old school, that is not your companies fault if he is unwilling to learn. If that is the case, I say kick the old dog to the curb if he can't learn a new trick.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    I completely disagree, this statement is complimenting them for screwing up, (in a way) I personally would email the entire office, and state that these standards (of xrefing) are there for a reason, and if you have problems you better ask someone a solution, because unless someone instructs you to bind/explode an external reference, you better not do it or you will be fired. Period. End of story. I would not say the persons name, either. Is there an in-house architectural department? Why couldn't he just go ask someone to fix something... if not, then the person in charge of maintaining xref'd files should be the person to find out what the problem is, (was it a wrong background?) and coordinate with the Arch on the job to make the necessary corrections! But first and foremost, he or she was obviously wrong for doing this without communicating with other TEAM MEMBERS. If he is old school, that is not your companies fault if he is unwilling to learn. If that is the case, I say kick the old dog to the curb if he can't learn a new trick.
    I think "sgroff" (sorry, I don't know your real name) was being sarcastic.

Following company standards should not be difficult. The company standards should be there to improve on the process of producing a drawing. If it is more difficult to do their own thing than follow company standards, they will most likely follow the standards. They will also do the reverse if the standards are more difficult.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    I was being sarcastic.. he said earlier that the higher ups would not likely fire this person.. I was merly saying a good alternative would be a suspension.

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Regarding the exploding of xrefs, you can always re-define the EXPLODE command...If any of the selected entities are xrefs, then alert the user that xrefs are not allowed to be exploded and continue exploding the other items in the selection set...I know that sounds like a bit of work, but it will save you in those times that the user wants to explode...I would hold a little lunch and learn and explain the CAD Standard about xrefs and things of the like and leave out that the explode command will no longer work...If the user continues to break CAD Standard, then there should be remarks or "strikes" that will end up in the user's termination after so many "strikes"...I know that sometimes it is hard to find good new help, but training someone on how you do things is easier than breaking someone of their old habits...

Trust me I know...I am starting to develop a Standard and I am pretty much basing it off what one user does and should not do...However there are things that I can do better in there as well as what others need to do...

I hope this works out for you...

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Forgive my ignorance but, how does he "explode" the XRefs?? Is he binding/inserting them into the drawings??

From what you've been saying, the picture says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sgroff
    I was being sarcastic.. he said earlier that the higher ups would not likely fire this person.. I was merly saying a good alternative would be a suspension.
    I realized you were being sarcastic, but... at the same time, this could encourage others to get some time off (yes without pay) ??? I have seen others do stupider things (yes, stupider is a word lol) to get time off whether or not it is in their file or not, and apparently they don't care, if they don't think they have to follow any standards! - just saying...

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by H.Hunter
    it definitely look slike he's trying cut corners around problems.
    This is exactly what he was doing...

There seems to be some decent advice coming from here, but a lot of it involves a whole bunch of work on my part, and I don't have time for the project that have billable hours, much less to re-train people on how to do their jobs... especially when it's (for the most part) one person who continues to mess up.

And the principles don't seem to care... what an exercise in fultility...

Quote Originally Posted by pauljordan
    Forgive my ignorance but, how does he "explode" the XRefs?? Is he binding/inserting them into the drawings??
    All our projects start with a basesheet that we set up that already has the border and floorplan referenced and the attributed title block inserted. All you have to do is start drafting...

Instead of calling the architects, who are responsible for the floorplans, and telling them the floorplan needed to be changed, he simply exploded the reference and changed what he needed.

It's 9:30 in the morning and I'm already thinking of a glass of Scotch...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast