Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bad Drafter Disciplinary Actions

I could stop if I wanted to Ogre's Avatar
    In the end, Cauliflower is just albino Broccoli
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Bad Drafter Disciplinary Actions

Quote Originally Posted by stusic
    This is exactly what he was doing...

There seems to be some decent advice coming from here, but a lot of it involves a whole bunch of work on my part, and I don't have time for the project that have billable hours, much less to re-train people on how to do their jobs... especially when it's (for the most part) one person who continues to mess up.

And the principles don't seem to care... what an exercise in fultility...

All our projects start with a basesheet that we set up that already has the border and floorplan referenced and the attributed title block inserted. All you have to do is start drafting...

Instead of calling the architects, who are responsible for the floorplans, and telling them the floorplan needed to be changed, he simply exploded the reference and changed what he needed.

It's 9:30 in the morning and I'm already thinking of a glass of Scotch...
    Here is the bottom line then...If you do not have time and no one else can try to fix him, then you may as well look for a replacement for him, but that will take you just as long and you will still have to train some one on how your firm does things...It is really a catch 22...The final decision is up to you...Train or train...There is no simple way out of this one...

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    Here is the bottom line then...If you do not have time and no one else can try to fix him, then you may as well look for a replacement for him, but that will take you just as long and you will still have to train some one on how your firm does things...It is really a catch 22...The final decision is up to you...Train or train...There is no simple way out of this one...
    I think I'd rather train someone I don't already have a grudge against...

Anyone looking for a CAD Manager in the Atlanta area?

In the immortal words of W.C. Fields:
    "I don't drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast."
    Last edited by stusic; 2006-08-22 at 02:49 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I think I'd rather train someone I don't already have a grudge against...

Anyone looking for a CAD Manger in the Atlanta area?

In the immortal words of W.C. Fields:
    "I don't drink anything stringer than gin before breakfast."
    ahem... you mispelled manager lol

Why not give the work back to him, and make him fix it again?? This seems a little stupid and after the fact, but...

Who is in charge of keeping the cad standards in place? Suggest that this guy needs a new "CAD Manual" because the one he is using seems to not be working. I would have a explicit list of instructions, and reference the cad manual page he needs to look on... you could even make copies and higlight the area he needs to relearn! But that is just me, I like to "challenge" people to do their best... Somehow, I would start documenting (you could use the email system and blind copy yourself) why the standards werent followed. Remind him this is a TEAM and he is either part of the team or not. OOOh how about having a cute coworker (female) do this for you? LOL he may just listen...
    Good Luck

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    ahem... you mispelled manager lol

Why not give the work back to him, and make him fix it again?? This seems a little stupid and after the fact, but...

Who is in charge of keeping the cad standards in place? Suggest that this guy needs a new "CAD Manual" because the one he is using seems to not be working. I would have a explicit list of instructions, and reference the cad manual page he needs to look on... you could even make copies and higlight the area he needs to relearn! But that is just me, I like to "challenge" people to do their best... Somehow, I would start documenting (you could use the email system and blind copy yourself) why the standards werent followed. Remind him this is a TEAM and he is either part of the team or not. OOOh how about having a cute coworker (female) do this for you? LOL he may just listen...
    Good Luck
    Depending on the how extreme the fixes are, this may be a good idea...The problem is that you slow down production...Management may not like this...From experience they would rather have it out quick and cheap than correct...However, if you give him the smaller jobs, it may not slow down that much...The problem is if he says, "I don't know how."...What do you do then??? Yeah, he can explode an xref, but can he re-attach one??? The e-mail thing is a good idea...Make sure that everyone knows the standards...Make it fun, almost like Jeopardy and have gifts or something, like free lunch...I know this may come out of your pocket, it is well worth the support that you give to your group...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz
    OOOh how about having a cute coworker (female) do this for you?
    i wish i had cute female coworkers to "correct" me...

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    i wish i had cute female coworkers to "correct" me...
    Yeah, that sounds more along the lines of praising them for bad behavior - but then, we don't have any cute coworkers

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Yeah, that sounds more along the lines of praising them for bad behavior - but then, we don't have any cute coworkers
    Sorry to hear that...

All AUGI, all the time pauljordan's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm still a little confused on how he "exploded" an Xref.. Did he actually go back to the original floor plan (which I assume based on this discussion is a block) and explode that to make changes?? If that's the case and he's been shown how this system is supposed to work, show him the door.

The terminology is a bit confusing to me, it may be for him as well.
    Or then, it could be because the coffee is weak this morning..

I thought W.C. Fields always said "A woman is only a woman but, a good cigar is a smoke."
    Give a man AutoCad, and he'll draw you a floor plan.
    Give a man Revit and he'll build you a house.
    Give Cadmama a couple of drinks and she'll have everyone singing Rockytop!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pauljordan
    I'm still a little confused on how he "exploded" an Xref.. Did he actually go back to the original floor plan (which I assume based on this discussion is a block) and explode that to make changes?? If that's the case and he's been shown how this system is supposed to work, show him the door.

The terminology is a bit confusing to me, it may be for him as well.
    Or then, it could be because the coffee is weak this morning..

I thought W.C. Fields always said "A woman is only a woman but, a good cigar is a smoke."
    If an xref has been binded, then it can be exploded with the EXPLODE command...Once exploded it is no longer an xref and can be edited freely...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ray.Mendoza
    If an xref has been binded, then it can be exploded with the EXPLODE command...Once exploded it is no longer an xref and can be edited freely...
    Actually, once it is bound / inserted, it is no longer an XREF.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast