See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Parametric Parts & Ductwork Help

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Parts & Ductwork Help

I am attempting to gather information concerning parametric parts. Basically I would like to know what they are all about and how to create them. That's not asking too much is it?

I know that Kelly Swa is putting together an ATP course on it, but in the mean time does anyone have any good information floating around?

Is there anything in ABS 2007 OOTB that is usable? We have customize our layers/layer keys so I need at minimum to be able to manipulate that.

There is rumor that we will be starting a project in a wk or two and I know this is going to come up. I would really rather not have my people drawing 3D blocks or lines to get around this for the time being.

Thank you in advance to anyone that helps out!

All AUGI, all the time kyle.bernhardt's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Parametric Parts & Ductwork Help

Quote Originally Posted by ameador
    Is there anything in ABS 2007 OOTB that is usable? We have customize our layers/layer keys so I need at minimum to be able to manipulate that.
    Our Content Designer just left the building crying....

But seriously, yes, there is a large amount of content ready to go OOTB. For certain applications the content will need to be modified or even re-worked. If you let me know your application I might be able to inform you of the task ahead of you.

As for information on Parametric Parts and layers, here you go....Parametric Parts in ABS 2007 have a Parameter that defines the layer key that will be used upon insertion. If you want to change the layer key of a particular MvPart, simply change the Parameter on the part.

"How do you do this?" you ask? You can do it either in Catalog Editor or Content Builder. For this type of a change, I'd recommend Catalog Editor; it's easier to make changes to multiple parts. Load up the MvPart catalog -> pick a part -> go to the Constants table -> find the layer key parameter and change it (see the attached image).

If you want to get Uber-fancy, you can use the Search and Replace tool to modify more than one part at a time. A super intuitive Ctrl+****+F5 with the Catalog Editor will bring up this tool. You can find parts with similar parameter values (think a common layer key) and have it update those common parameters (change the layer keys to a different one). See the attached video for an example of using this tool.

I'd also point you to our archived webcasts on content located at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=4632970. There's a couple on MvParts. I know it a bit dated at 2005, but the vast majority of that information applies to 2007.

That should get you started.

Cheers,
    Kyle B
    Autodesk Product Support
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kyle Bernhardt; 2006-08-11 at 07:06 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Parts & Ductwork Help

Please apologize to the content designer(s), I did not mean that as it sounded. With the way my company is working just about everything has to be customized, so that was a little bit of my frustrations sneaking out there.

What I am the most concerned with presently are the pants fittings for ductwork. Typically we work with rectangular ductwork and we run into some rather strange situations. I will attach a drawing with an example of something we have had to do rather recently. I believe in this example we kept the top of ducts aligned. I am saving it in ABS 2007. If you need a different version please tell me and I will be happy to save it as such. Currently we are working in R14, so saving back is not an issue. This is the first time I have tried to "upload" something here so do tell me if it didn't work.

I have the sneaking feeling that we are going to have to do a bunch of custom fittings and I was kicking around the idea of having these as parametric parts. I do not have a full understanding of how the duct fittings and parametric parts all work currently. However, I was thinking that I was going to have to make some sort of customized parametric pants for our ductwork fittings. If there is an easier way please share!

Thank you for your tips, I will investigate the website and your .zip file!
    Last edited by A Meador; 2006-08-11 at 08:36 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I am adding another example and attaching it to this post. This drawing will have the first example and this one in it as well. One of our challenges is getting one side of the ductwork to align to make the fitting. I have found in the help files of ABS 2007 the "how to make custom fittings through creating polylines", but nothing addresses if we want one side to all align.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate this!

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Parametric Parts & Ductwork Help

There are two types of MV Parts

The first is basically just a block and you should use these for more complex MV Parts
    These are created and edited in MV Part Builder (once built or modified thats the size they are)

The second is basically a dynamic block and should be used for simpler module type block needs.: ie Modular air handler segments (different size units) come to mind. (like a dynamic block these can be place @ multiple specified sizes)

They are both accessed through Content Builder the Second one is true modeling in a new drawing with parametrics, family association and the like (read not user friendly)

They have a different icon associated with the two different types.

Going through Content Builder is one way to get to and to create these MV Parts.

A second way to get MV Parts in to a project is using the Parametric Part Wizard, access through the HVAC (very limited @ this time but appears to hold lots of promise)

The third method and the one I recommend to start with for learning MV Part creation in ABS is by converting blocks using
    Convert to Multi view Part in HVAC Module
    Convert to Device in Electrical Module

This last method is much simpler and more user friendly overall, plus it will help you start understand MV Part creation.

I would recommend getting a copy of AOTC Courseware ABS 2007 Projects & Tools Essentials

Hope This helps.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kyle.bernhardt
    "How do you do this?" you ask? You can do it either in Catalog Editor or Content Builder. For this type of a change, I'd recommend Catalog Editor; it's easier to make changes to multiple parts. Load up the MvPart catalog -> pick a part -> go to the Constants table -> find the layer key parameter and change it (see the attached image).

If you want to get Uber-fancy, you can use the Search and Replace tool to modify more than one part at a time. A super intuitive Ctrl+****+F5 with the Catalog Editor will bring up this tool. You can find parts with similar parameter values (think a common layer key) and have it update those common parameters (change the layer keys to a different one). See the attached video for an example of using this tool.
    Where do I find this in 2007? I can't seem to bring up the dialog from your attached image?

Login to Give a bone

Rlanear thank you for the options you are listing here. I have been attempting to get training that would come with the ABS 2007 AOTC guides. So far that hasn't happened yet. So have been left up to my own devices to figure this out.

If I use this method:
    "The third method and the one I recommend to start with for learning MV Part creation in ABS is by converting blocks using Convert to Multi view Part in HVAC Module, Convert to Device in Electrical Module"

I assume my parts will be set to a specific size, therefore, I would need to foresee all the different combinations and make them up front.

Perhaps it may be that I will need to make a combination of some parametric parts and some MvParts depending upon the complexity of the item.

Unfortunately, it appears that the ATP class that I was taking that was going to cover parametric parts has been canceled.

Thank you again everyone!