Thread: Remodeling Addition setup

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Remodeling Addition setup

I am setting up a remodeling project with an addition that will be done in 3 phases.

Problem - The exterior wall needs to be striped of the existing brick veneer.

I was thinking of doing the exterior as 2 walls, on hte brick veneer and on the structural wall (mostly frame) so that I can demo the brick veneer. We will be repacing the veneer with a combo of stone and siding.

Am I on the right track?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Remodeling Addition setup

Yes that is the same way that I am doing a remodel job with phasing. The only other way that I can think of is to design the wall in the beginning to match what you want at the end, and cover over the existing elevations with filled regions. But, I do think that the 2 seperate walls are the best idea.

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there,
    That is how I do it typically.
    Good Luck
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Remodeling Addition setup

Thanks for the reply! I just about have the Madel complete... this is the 1st time I have done a remodel addition using Revit.

My plan is to complete the plans of the existing building and them change it to existing...

Then do the demo of Phase 1... save that as a phase???? Then do the phase 1 remodel/addition... save that as a phase????

Then do Demo of phase 2... save as a phase???? then do the remodel/addition save as a phase???

Then do Demo of Phase 3... save as a phase??? then do the remodel/addition... save as final phase????

Can this be done... am I on the right track... or is there an easier way? What about saving phases as separate projects?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Doug,

This may not help, but it's how we explain Phasing to our people:

You set up one phase for each phase of your build, incluing the existing (using Phases from the Settings menu).

All the elements in a Revit project know when they were built and when they are to be demolished. Check the properties of an element, and you'll see the Phase Created and Phase Demolished parameters. Typically, in a new-build, all the elements will have P.C. as 'New Construction, and P.D. as None.

Each view shows a particular phase as well, so we typically set up a set of views for each phase, by duplicating the existing views and changing each view's Phase property (use Browser Organisation to keep track).

So, if you have a model of the existing, select all the elements and set their Phase Created as Existing. Then go to the Phase 1 view(s) and use the demolish tool to demolish elements and the wall, etc. tools to create new elements. Carry on through each phase.

Does that help?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    Thanks for the reply! I just about have the Madel complete... this is the 1st time I have done a remodel addition using Revit.

My plan is to complete the plans of the existing building and them change it to existing...

Then do the demo of Phase 1... save that as a phase???? Then do the phase 1 remodel/addition... save that as a phase????

Then do Demo of phase 2... save as a phase???? then do the remodel/addition save as a phase???

Then do Demo of Phase 3... save as a phase??? then do the remodel/addition... save as final phase????

Can this be done... am I on the right track... or is there an easier way? What about saving phases as separate projects?

Objects are demolished during whatever the current construction phase is, so there is no need for "demolition" phases. You just tell Revit that a certain item is being demolished on a certain phase (with the view set to that phase) and it takes care of it.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks! That'll save me a lot of planning!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Several folks have chimed in about the DEMO phase. Do you even need one? We usually create a demo phase for remodels. This way we have a nice set of DEMO drawings- which can be quite complex sometimes. How you do folks who do not create a demo phase do this? Is it all View controls? Fancy Phase filters? It seems to me that this method might be more work. OR, am I missing something?

I hate to force the software to do something that can be done easier if just follow the stock set up.

Any DEMO phase people out there?

Login to Give a bone

What exactly do you do with your separate Demo phase that couldn't be acheived using normal construction phases and filters on the different views?