Thread: Tips for Corel Draw?

Login to Give a bone

Question Tips for Corel Draw?

I've just found out that I will have this program installed soon to work with one particular project on my campus.

I just wanted to have some resources handy for if (ok, likely, when) I'll need them.

Is this program easy to use? Any tips and tricks sites to quickly peruse?

Thanks for any help!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tips for Corel Draw?

Hi

Might prove helpful / useful...

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite Tips & Tricks

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite Tutorials

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tips for Corel Draw?

CD 12 or X3?
    Corel rocks. Why anyone would pay the big dollars for Photoshop is beyond me. You'll be doing most of your stuff in Draw which is a hybrid vector/raster program. Paint will be used for some touch up stuff. If you are working with AutoCAD stuff - Corel imports it very well. However, I typically don't import AutoCAD directly. I'll print to PDF and import that. This gives me a final printed sheet size to work with and I don't have to fool with the whole scale thing. The import will still be vector.

Tools to know: Symbols, Interactive Drop Shadow, Interactive Transparency. I don't use the blend tool much. Lots of nice hotkeys in Corel that save big time.

Oh ya. The only thing that can be a PITA is color management. Make sure you are not printing RGB images as CYMK. Gets frustrating.
    Last edited by aaronrumple; 2006-08-16 at 03:20 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Tips for Corel Draw?

I haven't been told by IS at this point.

I've not even used Photoshop all that much, typically just for viewing/printing/cropping tiff's.

The project is being done by an outside contractor and they are working with Corel. I asked that deliverables come as dwg's, and they say I can't have it. (I just set the standards, I don't write the checks) They have imported my floor plan drawings to use as a base for all of theirs.

So, I'm being given Corel Draw to do updates to these plans.
    Knowing it is a hybrid raster/vector is likely valuable.

Thanks for the tips, Aaron. Much appreciated.

now... ~tapping fingers~ I wonder when I'll get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronrumple
    CD 12 or X3?
    Corel rocks. Why anyone would pay the big dollars for Photoshop is beyond me. You'll be doing most of your stuff in Draw which is a hybrid vector/raster program. Paint will be used for some touch up stuff. If you are working with AutoCAD stuff - Corel imports it very well. However, I typically don't import AutoCAD directly. I'll print to PDF and import that. This gives me a final printed sheet size to work with and I don't have to fool with the whole scale thing. The import will still be vector.

Tools to know: Symbols, Interactive Drop Shadow, Interactive Transparency. I don't use the blend tool much. Lots of nice hotkeys in Corel that save big time.

Oh ya. The only thing that can be a PITA is color management. Make sure you are not printing RGB images as CYMK. Gets frustrating.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost