Thread: Cannot edit and save an Xref path in 2007!

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Angry Cannot edit and save an Xref path in 2007!

Despite the limited list of "new features" in AutoCAD 2007 other than the 3d functionality and the printing to .pdf, I am now discovering many little tweaks to dialogue boxes and interfaces which are just different enough to be annoying. When I attempt to change the path of an existing xref to make it a relative path, the help tells me to edit the path in the "Found At" box, then hit "OK." The only problem is, I can't seem to find an "OK" button in the new xref dialogue, so the minute I click away from my newly edited path, it returns to the full path.

Can anyone help me on this one? Any other die-hard relative-path-ers out there?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot edit and save an Xref path in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by hadens
    Despite the limited list of "new features" in AutoCAD 2007 other than the 3d functionality and the printing to .pdf, I am now discovering many little tweaks to dialogue boxes and interfaces which are just different enough to be annoying. When I attempt to change the path of an existing xref to make it a relative path, the help tells me to edit the path in the "Found At" box, then hit "OK." The only problem is, I can't seem to find an "OK" button in the new xref dialogue, so the minute I click away from my newly edited path, it returns to the full path.

Can anyone help me on this one? Any other die-hard relative-path-ers out there?
    You won't find a OK button because there is none. Just click on the OPEN button. that should do it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Firmso
    Just click on the OPEN button..
    I'm not seeing an OPEN button either.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hadens
    When I attempt to change the path of an existing xref to make it a relative path, the help tells me to edit the path in the "Found At" box, then hit "OK." The only problem is, I can't seem to find an "OK" button in the new xref dialogue
    There is no OK button.

When you edit the "Found Path", press TAB or press ENTER. It will return to the full path, because it's the "Found path", but the "Saved Path" should change to reflect your change. If not, then either you entered an invalid path or the main drawing is not saved (in the case when you are trying to save a relative path).

If you still can't get it, you might try the CLASSICXREF command.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to ekubaskie's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Depending on the size of the External References window, you may have to scroll the "Details" section down to see it. You're looking for a line that says "Found at", which will be blank if the reference wasn't found. Clicking on that line allows you to enter a path, and a "..." button appears on the right-hand end; THAT is the button to click if you want to browse to locate the reference.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    There is no OK button.

When you edit the "Found Path", press TAB or press ENTER. It will return to the full path, because it's the "Found path", but the "Saved Path" should change to reflect your change. If not, then either you entered an invalid path or the main drawing is not saved (in the case when you are trying to save a relative path).

If you still can't get it, you might try the CLASSICXREF command.
    Thank you very much, RK. That's exactly what I was looking for. I only wish the Autodesk folks would have taken the time to get their help updated before they released 2007. I know that's easy to say, as I understand how deadlines work, but obviously it was updated to some level, but probably to either a beta or concept idea that was changed in the end. By the way, it's also nice to know there is a CLASSICXREF just in case I get stuck again some time!

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Cannot edit and save an Xref path in 2007!

I had a very similar problem and if not for this thread I don't think I would have found an answer.

I was asked about how to edit the saved path to relative by a user. I like the user, went to the External Reference Palette, selected the desired file. Attempted to delete the unwanted path and then selected the next file. As the new dialog didn't offer any suggestion another step is required, we were quite stupefied when the save path display didn't change.
    Further confounded when going to help and viewing the links concerning the External Reference Palette topic on the Details/Preview Pane it offered these two morsels on resetting a path.

Saved Path

Shows the saved path of the selected file reference (this is not necessarily where the file reference is found). This property cannot be edited.

Found At

Displays the full path of the currently selected file reference. This is where the referenced file is actually found and is not necessarily the same as the saved path. Clicking the […] button displays the Select Image File dialog box where you can select a different path or file name. You can also type directly into the path field. These changes are stored to the Saved Path property if the new path is valid.

I have since sent a comment about the page.

But am I the only one that finds absolutely no direction with the commentary provided on Saved Paths and Found At?
    And not only no direction, but pure contradiction as it is mentioned the "property cannot be edited" I think I saw this in a few other help windows too.