See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Objects on layer 0? Good or bad .... ?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Objects on layer 0? Good or bad .... ?

Oh, Ok! No we don't leave anything on layer 0 after insertion.

Login to Give a bone

It was always advised that nothing be left on layer "0" even before the "defpoints" layer was introduced (with all the extra scope to cause confusion). The only reason given - " layer "0" has special qualities".

Login to Give a bone

IMHO, it's a matter of organization and standards. If you want to organize (or not) your drawing with everything on layer "0", do it. Then ask someone to go change something in that drawing.

How much more time will they have to work on the drawing if everything is left on layer "0"?

Also, how does leaving objects on layer "0" look pretty?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    Should any objects (blocks in particular) be left on layer 0?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

please discuss opinions or facts here.
    If I need a block, I'll create it on 0, but insert it on another layer. Also, unless I need to have my xrefs on a certain layer for a certain reason, I'll attach or overlay them on 0. In short, the only entities I'll normally have on 0 are xrefs. It just makes drawing management easier to avoid issues. The same goes for Defpoints. Don't put things on Defpoints. period

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91
    If I need a block, I'll create it on 0, but insert it on another layer. Also, unless I need to have my xrefs on a certain layer for a certain reason, I'll attach or overlay them on 0. In short, the only entities I'll normally have on 0 are xrefs. It just makes drawing management easier to avoid issues. The same goes for Defpoints. Don't put things on Defpoints. period
    ^^^ what he said.
    Rico, freeze/lock layer 0 for her and ask her to edit it.

actually, before i started here, most of the drawings had layers that made some sence, but since there where no documented standards, they would quickly draft the geometry in layer 0, then just override the object color to get the correct lineweight. talk about your fun day picking up redlines on someone else's carpy cad file...
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

i draw on Layer 0, then move everything to the layer as appropriate. we are still using CTB to print, so i am stuck with colors 1 through 15 (red, yellow, green, cyan etc), and i have my 0 set to orange. when i see anything that is orange, i know its either there for construction, and needs to be erased, or is part of something and should be moved to the correct layer. i also leave xrefs on 0 - mostly because thats what ive always been told to do. if there is a better / more efficient way i would love to know it.

i have learned the hard way about having things on zero that shouldnt be, and then trying to edit them while the 0 is locked and/or frozen.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    i have my 0 set to orange. when i see anything that is orange, i know its either there for construction, and needs to be erased, or is part of something and should be moved to the correct layer.
    this is exactly what I do. I used to leave it on white, but SO many things are white on my drawings, once I changed to orange, I NEVER suffered from "Oops, object was accidentally left on layer 0" again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to mom of 3's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Per standards, we don't use 0 for much of anything, other than block creation. I don't think I've ever worked anywhere that we actually left anything on 0.......& I also don't understand how she can say that 0 layer looks "pretty"?! Um.........it's just white on my system.........looks boring to me!

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemom
    (*SNIP*) I also don't understand how she can say that 0 layer looks "pretty"?! (*SNIP*)
    No no. She says that changing from layer 0 to another layer is aesthetic only. That it does nothing but make the drawing look pretty and that layer 0 is fine.

I'm glad to see that I'm right on this one. This girl is the self proclaimed CAD manager of the company. So it's irritating that she's spewing verbal sewage like that. Whatever.

I'll provide my 2 cents and if she takes them, good, if not ... well, it's her rear on the line, not mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to mom of 3's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    No no. She says that changing from layer 0 to another layer is aesthetic only. That it does nothing but make the drawing look pretty and that layer 0 is fine.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH.............duh! Coconut moment!
    Anyway, shouldn't it matter more what it looks like to the client & not what it looks like on her screen?! AND, if she's the "CAD manager" in her eyes, shouldn't she be using standards?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast