Thread: 3D Bridge

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default 3D Bridge

This is our office's first and maybe last 3D drawing we have ever done. It is the biggest bridge project we have designed and the Freeholders wanted to see what it was going to look like even though they had trouble reading blueprints. The Principles and Project Manager came to me and asked if I had ever done any 3D work before. I told them I had taught my son AutoCAD when he was in high school 3 years ago but he liked the 3D stuff more, so he taught himself how to extrude and stuff like that. I would look over his shoulder and watch him and learned a little.

That was enough for them. I was the office expert. After some self teaching, some experimentation and about 150 hours of work. This is what I got. I did not mess with any materials or textures, its just shading and rendering.

The little bridge is new with a road realignment. The larger bridge will replace an existing bridge in about the same location. The existing roads are white. The new road is orange. The new bridge deck is gray. The rest is obvious I think. 3D orbit it and zoom in, there is quite a bit of detail.

Sorry its a big file, but DWF's did not do it justice. It was fun to do and I learned a lot.

I added a jpg file it looks like junk compared to the dwg, but there it is.

Removed the jpg and replaced it with a much better looking pdf. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SRBalliet; 2006-12-12 at 05:00 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3D Bridge

very nice work

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: 3D Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by srb
    The Principles and Project Manager came to me and asked if I had ever done any 3D work before. I told them I had taught my son AutoCAD when he was in high school 3 years ago but he liked the 3D stuff more, so he taught himself how to extrude and stuff like that. I would look over his shoulder and watch him and learned a little.

That was enough for them. I was the office expert. After some self teaching, some experimentation and about 150 hours of work. This is what I got. I did not mess with any materials or textures, its just shading and rendering.
    isn't it funny how that stuff works, huh?

Looks like a fairly complex drawing there for your first time. Very Thanks for sharing.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3D Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    Looks like a fairly complex drawing there for your first time. Very Thanks for sharing.
    I certainly would have done things differently starting out knowing what I know now!!!!!!