Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FREEZE tool/icon (snowflake) was in AutoCAD 2004, lost in AutoCAD 2007

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy FREEZE tool/icon (snowflake) was in AutoCAD 2004, lost in AutoCAD 2007

I've recently been upgraded from v.2004 to v.2007 and I've lost a very useful tool.
    v.2004 offered a FREEZE icon (snowflake) that allowed the user to select any specific item on a layer and remove it from displaying WITHOUT turning 'off' the entire layer.
    i.e., If a layer contained a large rectangle with 6 small squares (#1 thru 6), I could click on the 'snowflake' then select squares #2 & #5 and they would turn 'off' (be removed from view and also from printing/plotting); the remaining rectangle and squares #1,3, 4 & 6 would still display.

I have searched v.2007 and can't find a way to access this tool; other than the Std. 'snowflake' that turns the entire layer 'off'.

I used this tool for displaying engineering devices when Architctural or other
    engineering disciplines have objects that are not relevant to my package; or contain too much graphics that make the drawing difficult to read. This was really a time-saver!!!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Neda Anser; 2006-08-30 at 01:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FREEZE tool/icon (snowflake) was in AutoCAD 2004, lost in AutoCAD 2007

Is this vanilla AutoCAD or a vertical?

If this is Map or LDT, try the ._AecHideObjects command
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FREEZE tool/icon (snowflake) was in AutoCAD 2004, lost in AutoCAD 2007

You got me there...all I know is that we have the Full licensed Office version..

I could stop if I wanted to Mamma Jamma's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I thought that I heard that this was taken from Express Tools and made part of ACAD2007 (even LT)? Was I mistaken? It may be just relocated to a different toolbar?

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: FREEZE tool/icon (snowflake) was in AutoCAD 2004, lost in AutoCAD 2007

I' ve searched until I'm blue in the face...can't find ....

Login to Give a bone

I don't know about vanilla AutoCAD, but in ADT there is a new toolbar called "Layers II" which is where you can find it. Also in the Format pulldown in layer tools. The icon on the toolbar looks a bit different, but it still has the snowflake.

Sorry, I just reread your post and I don't think this is what you are looking for. The only thing I can think of that is close is the object isolate/ object hide tools, but I don't know if there is a toolbar for them, only the lightbulb at the bottom right corner.
    Last edited by cholmes; 2006-08-24 at 09:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by amiller.119875
    Full licensed Office version..
    I suppose you mean that you have Full blown AutoCAD, not AutoCAD LT.

Are you sure that this wasn't a 3rd party routine that you had in r2004?

I don't know of any core command that "hides certain objects" - not the entire layer.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by amiller.119875
    You got me there...all I know is that we have the Full licensed Office version..
    Without knowing what software package you are working with, it is impossible to answer this question.

Go to your help--> about and tell us what software you are using.

Login to Give a bone

We have this Lisp Routine at our work, there's several variations of this routine we have, including lock, unlock and layer off.. the only problem i have with it is that it needs a selected object and cannot take a window or a crossing as an input type.

Code:
    (defun c:LAYER-FREEZE (/ obj-source lay-name lay-lst lay-name)
      (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
      (while (setq obj-source
    		   (entsel "\nPick an object on the layer to be freezed: ")
    		 )
    		 (setq obj-source (car obj-source))
    		 (setq lay-name (cdr (assoc 8 (entget obj-source))))
    		 (setq lay-lst (tblsearch "layer" lay-name))
    		 (setq lay-name (cdr (assoc 2 lay-lst)))
    		 (if (= lay-name (getvar "clayer"))
    		   (alert (strcat "Cannot freeze layer" lay-name ". It is the CURRENT layer."))
    		   (command "-layer" "f" lay-name "")
    		 )
      )
      (setvar "cmdecho" 1)
      (princ)
    )
    [ Moderator Action = ON ] What are [ CODE ] tags... [ Moderator Action = OFF ]
    Last edited by Mike.Perry; 2006-08-26 at 03:36 AM. Reason: [CODE] tags added.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BrenBren
    Without knowing what software package you are working with, it is impossible to answer this question.

Go to your help--> about and tell us what software you are using.
    AutoCAD 2007
    Version: A.54.0 (UNICODE)
    Service Pack: 0

I don't know if it was a '3rd party' item; I was shown it's function when I was having trouble trying to insert some electrical gear on a drawing that was too cluttered...one of the designers said 'Do this...click, click' and the clutter was deleted from the drawing without disturbing the remaining layer display....

If not 'findable', this is a fantastic tool for AutoCAD to incorporate as a new upgrade download.....and not wait for v.2008(?)
    Last edited by Neda Anser; 2006-08-30 at 06:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast