See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Creating lintel schedules

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating lintel schedules

I'm not real sure how to go about this, but I want to make a lintel schedule. My schedule will contain both cmu and steel beams and it is linked into another job. Whats the best way to go about this?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating lintel schedules

This is interesting, you are the first person I have heard ask this question.
    I think the best option right now would be to use a shared parameter for your steel lintels which will allow you to schedule the beams as lintels.
    For your CMU lintels however, I think you would have to create some CMU lintel beam families in order to schedule them.

Login to Give a bone

Wow it looks like I'm keeping you busy, I just replied back to you on the joist situation. As far as the lintel's go that exactly what I ended up doing. I created a conc. beam the size I needed for my cmu lintel and changed the properties. It doesn't show up like it did in Acad but it will do.

Thanks again for the help

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

One of the approaches I had thought about for lintels was to actually create door and window openings with the Lintel Geometry built into them. I believe this would allow you to modify a door/window schedule to act as a lintle schedule. I haven't even started to attempt this but since I had it rolling around my brain I thought I'd share??

Login to Give a bone

I to have heard of doing it that way. This would probably remove the step of having to put your doors and windows in and the come back later and put you lintels in. Would you change your door name to something such as "L1"? Do you think that is the best approach. I am still real new to Revit and have much to learn.

Thanks for your input.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by khanson.102127
    I to have heard of doing it that way. This would probably remove the step of having to put your doors and windows in and the come back later and put you lintels in. Would you change your door name to something such as "L1"? Do you think that is the best approach. I am still real new to Revit and have much to learn.

Thanks for your input.
    khanson,

We're all still real new to Revit Structure , don't feel like your alone.

I really don't know if this is even a doable approach. I've really just thought about it. I sometimes think that lintels might be overmodeling but they are one of the areas of greatest conflict. So I just don't know.

If I ever get around to trying it out I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck,

Login to Give a bone

So far my approach seems to be working real well. I somewhat explained it earlier in this thread, but I don't know if this is the right way to do it. The other thing I have been doing is renaming my w16x31 to L1 and my concrete beam turned cmu lintel L2. It seems to help me keep track of what I am doing. I think my next project (if I get through my first one) I am going to try your way.

Login to Give a bone

We tried including Lintels into our door and window families as nested families and it works great in the Architectural models, although in a linked structural model where the lintels are actually shown and noted, Revit's linking visibility controls hide them in the walls - we tried several options to make them show, but there is no easier way to do other than plan regions over every opening.

We also found that, in a normal workflow of a project, it would be wise to have the structural engineer the full control of what type of lintel he wants to choose. With the door and combined lintel approach, the structural engineer needs to go to the architect for even a small change and we have not tested how ST can tag this lintel on their linked model since its just a ghost.(The other laternative would be for the ST to actually open the AR model and change it - its a change in workflow - so we just have to try and see what works best)

Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Prem

Login to Give a bone

I have been using a wall based "generic model" with great success. I have not attempted scheduling them as of yet but shared parameters would be a must.

Within the generic model family you can use a void to cut the wall where the lintel resides in order to avoid it being hidden in the wall. I dont know if there is any more benefit to having it as a door or window object aside from visibility controls.

You can set up parameters to control the lintel bearing (per side) and the height. The "thickness" is constrained to the wall thickness so that it automatically adjusts to the correct wall size when placed. (might make scheduling sizes an issue)

Login to Give a bone

We have taken the approach of creating a wall based generic model family with and opening and a lintel embedded into it. We currently have addressed this with just a loose lintel for now. The family allows the opening to have a parameter to control the "X" for the opening and the display of the lintel in plan/elevation. For plan view we use a symbolic line which is tied to a reference plane. The reference plane has an instant parameter to adjusted the floor to floor height so the symbolic line can be shown on the floor above the opening. The symbolic line than gets tagged as an "L-X". These can also be scheduled.

We are still not using this consistently. Some project types allow this to work great. Edit openings in an elevation view with arch model turned on. Lintels updated automatically on plan and in schedule.

jamie