View Poll Results: Is it good business for Autodesk to include DWF Composer to its AutoCAD clients?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 94.12%
  • No

1 5.88%

Thread: Include DWF Design Review with AutoCAD Products FREE

I could stop if I wanted to Batman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Include DWF Design Review with AutoCAD Products FREE

Given we shell out enough dough for AutoCAD and/or it's related products, and that Autodesk are keen to see their DWF software get good exposure then it would make sense for Autodesk to include DWF Composer with AutoCAD.

Since we produce drawings out to DWF and prompt our clients to use DWF, and in many cases advise them to purchase composer than it makes good sense that Autodesk should make it standard that a copy of Composer be included with AutoCAD. This way when we do give such advice we can back it up by performing adequate testing and are able to provide ongoing support to them.

Currently the scenario stands that you either tell your cleint to buy composer give them the DWF's and then lose credibility because something doesn't work right or it's not a smooth enough process. Or even worse you shell out the dough yourself for Composer and then find out you can't do what you want with it.

Another disadvantage in having to purchase Composer as a seperate bit, apart from the initial cost, is the ongoing maintenance of the software (which is a burden for many organisations).

Point is Autodesk should be supporting us to support them. Composer is not something that the AutoCAD user wants its something the client NEEDS, slug them for the costs and allow us to act as well informed and skilled agents.

From an Autodesk business standpoint it seems like it is something that will happen eventually. With enough support from forum users it may happen sooner.......??? Worth a try.

EDIT: Moderator has moved my post since Composer is now called Design Review. Please substitute the words in the text above accordingly. Thanks.
    Last edited by Batman; 2006-08-30 at 06:44 AM.

I could stop if I wanted to scott.sheppard's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Include DWF Design Review with AutoCAD Products FREE

I see you have a poll. I would be surprised if anyone would vote "no." As presented, the question is all gain and no pain. IMHO a better question would be "Would you like Autodesk Design Review to be bundled with AutoCAD if it meant that the price of AutoCAD increased by $99?" Autodesk Design Review 2007 sells for $199 - so you can see that I am splitting it with you. My guess is that you would find that some replies would be "yes" while others would be "no." There's no need to change your survey. You have already made your point. Autodesk is constantly evaluating its business model based on customer input. Thank you for your feedback. Believe me, you have been heard.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.sheppard
    I see you have a poll. I would be surprised if anyone would vote "no."
    Scott, It's currently 3 to 1. Did you cast the lone "no" vote?

I don't really see the need to include ADR for "free" (I would prefer that the $199/seat expense be geared towards real features that we need - but that is another thread....)

If you need to evaluate it's abilities, you can download a demo version, right?

I'm not sure why a client would need ADR and not just the viewer.

Having said all that, if they want to include a free copy with every seat of AutoCAD - bring it on....
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to Batman's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Aha, a counteroffer!!!

Increasing the price of AutoCAD just seems greedy; the amount of additional sales you can foster just from supporting the AutoCAD user community will reap at least 2 - 3 fold what you can obtain from us. Not to mention with the increased user base you'll get enormous product feedback which will speed development and allow it to become what everyone expects of it.

Here's my re-negotiation;

AutoCAD users: FREE
    Others: $249

How's that for a deal. What more do you need??

Scott, I'm aware that Autodesk, at times, listens to us through these forums; its good business for them to do so. The good thing about these forums is that we as users, at times, can see that we're not dealing with a faceless corporation but real people. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

IMO, Scott's biggest crisis is that a lot of people don't want to do a digital review of drawings. I know I don't. As much as I love the idea of review-by-DWF, it's just too hard to do until the Minority Report Display System is included in whatever OS is alive at the time it gets invented

DWF is getting much cred at the local print shops -- but might in the future, and might in other areas of the world.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Macaulay
    IMO, Scott's biggest crisis is that a lot of people don't want to do a digital review of drawings. I know I don't.
    I talk to some engineers that do, but our culture in general is "print it out and mark it up with a red pencil". Old school? Maybe, but you can't argue with the overall results.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.sheppard
    I see you have a poll. I would be surprised if anyone would vote "no." As presented, the question is all gain and no pain. IMHO a better question would be "Would you like Autodesk Design Review to be bundled with AutoCAD if it meant that the price of AutoCAD increased by $99?" Autodesk Design Review 2007 sells for $199 - so you can see that I am splitting it with you. My guess is that you would find that some replies would be "yes" while others would be "no." There's no need to change your survey. You have already made your point. Autodesk is constantly evaluating its business model based on customer input. Thank you for your feedback. Believe me, you have been heard.
    Sorry I am late coming to the ball here but do not tell me that it will increase by $100. Just through it in AND increase the price to cover it. Then charge the client (ie. contractor, etc.) that they will have to pay x amount to get it if they want to redline, etc. I do not believe that everything should be free but with the current pricing scheme just bundle it together for those that buy adsk products and price accordingly. I could and would live with that happily. They can be seperate licenses and seperate fees for subscription. In other words it is what $400 for ACAD and $50 for DWF Composer so bundle together and charge me $450. I will still buy it and yet it does cost me more but it will all come together and update together.

That is my 2 cents (even though it is a little late)