Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Autodesk! Give us some Pipe!

Angry Hey Autodesk! Give us what we paid for!

As an architect who hires consultant's to do all my MEP work, I wouldn't have thought that there would be anything in Revit systems that I could really use. However, looking over Revit System's set of tools, I couldn't help but be impressed by the pipe command. It is a great little tool that can quickly and easily create all manner of pipe rises, runs and angles. Those guys at the factory really know what they are doing in terms of designing great software!

I found myself thinking this tool would be great for downspouts and fireplace flues, two items that really affect the architecture of a building but never seem to get done by my consultants. I am always the one to lay these out. Downspouts and flues are the first two items that come to mind but I am sure that there are many ways Architects could use the pipe tool and the other tools in Revit Systems.

Now here is the rub. All of us who bought Revit building and have for years been shelling out expensive subscription fees, are essentially the ones who paid for the development of the pipe tool. It is no secret that Revit Building 9 was a substandard release in terms of new features. Revit Building 9 was short changed because everyone on the development team was focused on Revit Structure and Systems! Revit Building users deserve the pipe tool. It wouldn't cost anything to incorporate it into Revit Building. We are the one who paid for it! Some a$$hole in the Autodesk marketing department probably got a big fat bonus for the idea of leaving stuff out of Revit Building.

There hasn't been a lot of discussion on the three tiered approach of Revit Building, Structure and Systems. I for one think it stinks! I don't have a problem with customizing the interface to the way the various disciplines work, but selectively leaving out important tools from each version is down right mean spirited. It smacks of corporate greed and a screw the user mentality. Shame on you Autodesk! Shame on you!

p.s. Please don't anyone recite the litany of "new" features in Revit 9. We have all seen it.
    Last edited by Scott Hopkins; 2006-09-09 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Changed Title

Default Re: Hey Autodesk! Give us some Pipe!

Kinda reminds me of Bentley: first, Triforma as THE package for architects, then came Triforma Architecture for more $ as THE package for architects.

I agree ! It stinks. I thought when I bought Revit I was getting the whole package. Now it is 1/3 of the package. Let's all go to Autodesk University and bleat like sheep. Baa Baaa

Quote Originally Posted by Joef
    I agree ! It stinks. I thought when I bought Revit I was getting the whole package. Now it is 1/3 of the package. Let's all go to Autodesk University and bleat like sheep. Baa Baaa
    Thing is... I can't afford to go to AU, 'cause I gotta buy Revit Structure and Systems!!!

I could stop if I wanted to mibzim's Avatar

I would like to know how many Revit Building users are actually completely happy.

Does anybody feel that autodesk is doing the right thing by us? I'm sure there are plenty of grinning systems and structure users, but from the tone of the augi forums i would say that most building users are not entirely happy. Maybe we are just an unhappy bunch of demanding teenagers, but i'm not so sure about that explanation.

I was thinking about all the hype last year after revit 8.1 came out and comparing it to this year. I remember an ENORMOUS post back then about revit 9, when it was going to come out, what was going to be in it etc etc etc. Somehow though, it seems that revit 9 and 9.1 haven't created the same enthusiasm for the next release. Or have they?

AUGI Addict

I feel just as you do Scott, it does not seem fair at all. But its going to happen, (tools missing from each flavour) what would be the point in Autodesk having 3 different products that all have the same functions, just different families? Inevitably there are going to be more of these differences appearing between the 3.

BUT - Building really should be furnished with any extra tools that might be useful though! Otherwise you end up feeling cheated.

I am also bothered that they didnt spend more time fixing all of the cr@ppy UI issues that have been posted numerous times before splitting it into 3 products - then spent a load of time developing new tools and marketing etc for the three products... Revit was not a good, sound, finished template to start 3 products with - it was close, but still needed a bit of polishing!! I have a horrible feeling we will be stuck with some of the terrible UI issues for a long time now because its going to be 3 times harder to alter them..... Hope I am proved wrong.

Looking at the list of improvements in Building 9.1 - its pretty plain to see that they have been working on Revit Structures anyway. Wow, Great. I think, maybe, one of the new features will be of some use to me.... Yawn, without doubt the most boring, uninspiring release of Revit yet.....Hope its not a sign of things to come.
    Last edited by Martin P; 2006-08-31 at 01:46 PM.

I bought Revit. I never bought "Revit Building". The product was changed to a more limited scope (apparently) after I bought it. I thought that all the development of new tools and features that I was paying for with my subscription fee would be contained in the product that I purchased, not split off and sold to me under a different name. It doesn't please me that is for sure. But Autodesk is not about pleasing customers, it is about pleasing shareholders. There is a big difference.

100 Club

In the long run if you don't please the customers you won't please the shareholders. I am afraid we are getting the pipe after all.

Bill Maddox
    Last edited by zenomail105021; 2006-08-31 at 02:57 PM.

Wink Re: Hey Autodesk! Give us some Pipe!

Well, they did give us the "shaft" tool.

I could stop if I wanted to Nic M.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neil.90831
    Well, they did give us the "shaft" tool.
    "Who is the man?" Shaft

Just to add a voice to this wish.

I don't understand how this marketing strategy equals more sale.
    In my limited mind, if there was one Revit flavor but with all the functionality, sales would be the same. Right?
    Now there all this checking : building is 9.1 so structure should be 4 and system is ?
    Confusing.
    Last edited by Nic M.; 2006-08-31 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast