Thread: Plotting raster & lines & circles _ xrefs

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Plotting raster & lines & circles _ xrefs

I have some drawings with JPG's for background and I have some site plan drawings that are xref'd into the drawing. When I plot the drawing the xref's will not show up unless I go to draworder and bring to the front. Problem is after I do this and save the drawing when I open it again the draworder is still wrong and xrefs don't show in the plot. I have picked the JPG and "sent it to back" and picked the xref's to "bring to front" and then I save the drawing. Next time I open and plot and it still fails. Does anybody know of a cure for this as it makes batch plotting of any type impossible to do. Thank you, Jack.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plotting raster & lines & circles _ xrefs

What version of AutoCAD are you using? What plotter make/model are you sending the drawing to? Are you using the Windows System Printer drivers or a Heidi Driver? This info would be very helpful when trying to debug plotting issues.

I know this may sound strange, but try using draworder to send the raster image to the back, then save the drawing and see if this helps. Sometimes trying something different might actually yield a different result .... Just a suggestion.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply and I forgot I am using AutoCAD 2005 with different plotters I always get the same result. I am plotting to Acroplots PDF, to HP design jets and a Xerox color and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The drivers should be windows drivers that your network sets up for us. The raster image was inserted first so it should be on the bottom of the "stack" underneath of whatever is drawn or xref'd into the drawing. When I plot or even do a plot preview the image always over powers one of the xref's which has definitely been "brought to front". As JPG's show the xref's with lines shows. The missing Red & Yellow objects are autoCAD solids xref'd into the drawing. The picture and xrefs are all in model space and I am using a scaled paperspace viewport. I have even tried using the plot paperspace last option both on and off and it still doesn't work. I have attached 4 JPG's that show the stages and results which may help.

Quote Originally Posted by rclayton
    What version of AutoCAD are you using? What plotter make/model are you sending the drawing to? Are you using the Windows System Printer drivers or a Heidi Driver? This info would be very helpful when trying to debug plotting issues.

I know this may sound strange, but try using draworder to send the raster image to the back, then save the drawing and see if this helps. Sometimes trying something different might actually yield a different result .... Just a suggestion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack.foster; 2006-09-05 at 11:55 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Plotting raster & lines & circles _ xrefs

Hi

What is system variable DrawOrderCtl set to ?

Plus, have a browse through the following...

translucent coloring

Draw order not working when plotting

RE: Display order after binding external references

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Mike. I read each of the links and I had previously used Doug's suggestion of copy at 0,0,0 and erase previous and that does not work in this particular case. My DrawOrderCtl var is set to the default 3. Nothing else in reading the links was do-able or I had already tried such. I even went back and moved the disappearing drawing so it was 10 feet above the level of the JPG file and it is still wrong. The draworder is still messed up for plotting regardless of what I do. I think Autodesk needs to investigate this.

Login to Give a bone

Hi

Could you please post the drawing file in question, plus associated files... we could then take a first-hand look at the issue / problem...

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

The one image is 128 megs so zipping and posting is out of the question. However, when I went to straight model space and did a zoom extents I found there was another xref with two images over 500megs and stuck out at 6,000,000 X 1,000,000 drawing units that should not have been and not at 0,0,0 where the plotting area was at. When I detached that xref with JPG's and went back to paperspace to plot it works fine. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for this and it makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense why it was happening. Thanks to the AUGI forum and the request to zip and send I found worthless junk in the drawing that was eliminated and the problem is fixed. Still makes no sense. If the moderator can just delete this post it would be fine with me as it is not valid for anything now, at least in my opinion. Thanks to everyone, Jack.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jack.foster
    The one image is 128 megs so zipping and posting is out of the question. However, when I went to straight model space and did a zoom extents I found there was another xref with two images over 500megs and stuck out at 6,000,000 X 1,000,000 drawing units that should not have been and not at 0,0,0 where the plotting area was at. When I detached that xref with JPG's and went back to paperspace to plot it works fine. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for this and it makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense why it was happening. Thanks to the AUGI forum and the request to zip and send I found worthless junk in the drawing that was eliminated and the problem is fixed. Still makes no sense. If the moderator can just delete this post it would be fine with me as it is not valid for anything now, at least in my opinion. Thanks to everyone, Jack.
    I would say that this is a useful thread. You provided the additional information that may help someone in the future with this problem. It is a good suggestion as to check the drawing for erroneous information.

Thanks for posting it.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt