See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

This tutorial on part creation provides a step by step illustration on creating a pin used in a hinge assembly. Follow the below link for more....

Modeling Hinge Pin - Tutorial for beginners

Cheers!

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

This tutorial on part creation provides a step by step instruction on the development of the base part used in a hinge assembly. Follow the below link for more....

Modelin Hinge base part - Tutorial for beginners

Cheers!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

something that works, but is VERY slow, and Im hoping I might get some input;
    when im creating a series of parts that are close to the same, I typically have 10-15 parts and they are very simalar but will need seporate drawings. i create the parts typ with a combination os derived parts from patterned parts using core and pattern and sculpt, then I derive the parts into a new IPT to add the machining to it... this is where my 'tip" yet issue comes in.
    when I get the new IPT made to the best detail i can, i use it to recreate each associated part that has simalar yet different sized features from the first IPT, this way when i create the IDW file, it bettwer recognises the first IPT and all the dimensions and features as they are the same features just changed sizes etc.
    i create the IDW with all the details and notes and dimensions, and then save it.
    I copy the IDW file in the file manager, add an "X" to the IPT it was using, and open the new IDW file, when it looks for the original IPT, it cant find it so it asks for the name, I redirect it to the new file... it opens EXTREMELY slow, but reattaches most of the dimensions, changing all that are "not" hand typed notes, establishing all the layout and labels and details that the first drawing has, but will naturally need some updating...

so; confusing the way i explain? likely! but its a huge time saver, and there are 2 big problems, aside from the fact that missing a detail can be very easy and thus details from the first IDW can be carried into the second and so on. the 2 BIG issues are, when a mistake or design error is over looked in the first model and or IDW file, its ussually the case that it ends up seporately on every model and or IDW.
    the 2nd problem is that while Inventor is searching for the missing IPT file, it can take quite a while to find it, sometimes 1/2 hr or more. and then a save and some editing and its done.

Id think there must be a better way to acheive this, but so far I have not found one. does any one have some ideas? hope it helps, and hope some ideas are out there.
    Last edited by john_laugh; 2008-03-18 at 03:47 PM. Reason: bad spelling!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

Quote Originally Posted by Buffeldrek View Post
    there are tooo few inventor tips here - so lets do something about it:

as most autocad users know you can toggle between the extend and trim command by pressing the shift key. Would you be surprised to know inventor does the same thing?
    Within sketch mode, press the shift key while doing a trim to toggle to extend. Goes the other way around as well.
    heres something that works pretty well, hope I can explain it easily.
    when trying to show threads on a machine drawing, it has to be shaded, unless you go thru the task of actually creating threds. the problem with shaded draings are that us black/white printers look pretty bad when most of our parts are bronze castings. and, its also nice to maintain the bronze look and colors when working with assemblies etc.. so;
    what i do is i create the bronze color in the color standards with a name for ex: 'BronzeCasting" then I save it in my library with the same name "BronzeCasting".
    then I change the color in my model to a flat white, thus looking pretty pale yet the threads are all there. I maintain the name in the standards oof the drawing as "BronzeCasting" but I save it to my library as "BronzeCastingNoShade".

when I open my typical IPT with the default material as Bronze, and create the part, and it looks and shines like bronze, then i create the machine part with the same material (also having "BronzeMachined" and a library file "BronzeMachinedNoShade" in the exact same mannor described above, and before I insert the part into an IDW, I import the two BronzeCastingNoShade" and the BronzeMachinedNoShade" and any feature or derived part that have these two colors get replaced with the NEw NO shade color and everything turnes white. excpet the threads.
    when you then insert the views into the IDW file, and turn on the shade feature, the parts look white with threads, and print as if there was no shade on at all....

there can be issues with PDF files and its my recomendation to set them to best quality, and grey scale, else the threads tend to turn very black and look bad.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, maybe this isn't tips and tricks for the Inventor program. But it IS a tip for improving one of the best peripherals ever made for working with a 3D model.

Most people who use a Space Pilot motion controller swear by it and say they would hate to go back to life without it. A lot of those same people might be quick to comment on the SP's ergonomic design (or its shortcomings).

I've given my SP buttons some tactile enhancements to allow my hand to stay oriented without taking my eyes off the screen. I found a sheet of plastic self-adhesive buttons in my odds-and-ends box and stuck a few of them on some of the Space Pilot's buttons. It's not pretty but has been quite effective for me. (See attached pics.)

Since the plastic buttons were peel-and-stick I was able to experiment with what worked best for me. The plastic piece on button #3 has a long straight edge on the top. The straight edge sets it apart from the other buttons and serves as an tactile "anchor" for my fingers, much like the little bumps on the F and J keys on keyboards. After a day or two getting comfortable using the SP buttons by feel it becomes second nature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

For who's interested in RAL colors for Autodesk Inventor,
    they can be downloaded from this link:
    http://www.inventorwizard.be/textures/index.html

Login to Give a bone

do you have any pdf files on inventor tutorial?i'm an autocad draftsman,i want to hone my skills in inventor.thanks!

Login to Give a bone

While in the sketch mode, use the E key to extrude, no need to get out of sketch mode. Works for Revolve (R) and a few other commands. Saves a few clicks.

Login to Give a bone

No activity here for while so here goes....

Stumbled on a tip when working in an IDW and using the Breakout command. Started breakout, selected the view, then chose From Point. This is where it gets interesting. I could not see an edge of the item I wanted to break through on this view so I chose a point on the part FROM ANOTHER VIEW. And it works. Absolutely rapped with this one.

Login to Give a bone

I find it very useful to use Demote on Frame Generator members that have other operations (trim/notch/hole/etc..) done on them. It's often too difficult to detail these in an IDW or DWG of the Frame. Just demote the member once and the BOM will follow with the item and it is still referenced by the Frame Assy.

But beware as demote the member a second time and the link is broken.
    Last edited by brendan.henderson; 2013-02-28 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Wrong title of post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12