See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

there are tooo few inventor tips here - so lets do something about it:

as most autocad users know you can toggle between the extend and trim command by pressing the shift key. Would you be surprised to know inventor does the same thing?
    Within sketch mode, press the shift key while doing a trim to toggle to extend. Goes the other way around as well.

I could stop if I wanted to Ron Oldenbeuving's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

Sweeeet, and oh so simple.

I liked this thread so much, I've stuck it so that other users can add their own without having to search for it. Oh, and I've changed the title a little too.
    Last edited by Ron Oldenbeuving; 2006-09-14 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Sticky notification

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

Quote Originally Posted by Buffeldrek
    there are tooo few inventor tips here - so lets do something about it:

as most autocad users know you can toggle between the extend and trim command by pressing the shift key. Would you be surprised to know inventor does the same thing?
    Within sketch mode, press the shift key while doing a trim to toggle to extend. Goes the other way around as well.
    My personal 'simple but gets missed'. If you start your work feature tool (Workplane, axis, point), and right click, there is a option to 'repeat command'. Checking it allows you to place multiple work features without restarting the tool every time.
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

This has been around a long time, but is worth repeating.

When sketching constraints are automatically applied. Sometimes you may not want that. Just hold down the CTRL key while drawing the sketch object and you won't have constraints, such as parallel or perpendicular, for that object.

If you haven't used this before, I'd advise playing with it until you are comfortable with it.

Cheers,
    Bill

I could stop if I wanted to Ron Oldenbeuving's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

In AutoCAD, it's possible to use the divide command to place equispaced points on a spline. In Inventor, it can also be done.

After you have created, imported, etc your spline, create a workpoint on the end of your spline. Open the "Rectangular Pattern", pick the workpoint as the feature, select the spline as Direction 1, Enter in the number of points, and change "Spacing" to "Curve Length"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its also possible to do the same with workplanes, and keep each workplane square to the spline. Create a workplane at the end of the spline by picking the end point of the spline, and then the spline itself. This workplane is square to the end of the spline. Open the "Rectangular Pattern", pick the workplane as the feature, and follow the instructions as per the workpoints. However, before you hit "OK", open the details ">>", and change the setting for Orientation (in the lower window) from Identical to Direction 1 (see jpg file below), this is what keeps the Workplanes square to the spline as they are translated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Oldenbeuving; 2007-06-04 at 12:16 AM.

Login to Give a bone

oooh good one on the array - ron

within sketch mode - there is a nice offset option:
    the offset feature will standard select a bundle of objects, like a closed contour or objects that are attached with one another. This is because the option "Loop Select" is on. During the offset command - click RMB to get access to this option "Loop Select" and turn it off. Now you are able to select independent objects fromwhere you wanne do the offset.

This setting also has a regkey (i case you would be interested): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersionxxSystem\Preferences\Sketch\Offset Loops

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I like using the offset tool to help make a basic four hole pattern.

If you offset a rectangle from the outside perimeter of the part, you can place four holes at each vertex of the rectangle.

Once you're done, you can control the hole's offset using one dimension!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files

Login to Give a bone

long time no new tips here:

ok did you know there is a way to create a section view without a parent view (and therfore section line).
    Create a new view of a random part. Click on the view an start a new sketch - draw a rectangle all around the view, so that the view is completely surrounded by the rectangle sketch. Exit the sketch, and start the breakout view.
    The breakout is the rectangle, just define the depth and there is your full section view.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Buffeldrek
    long time no new tips here:
    http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2006/MA13-3%20Mather.pdf
    A hundred or so.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Inventor Tips and Tricks: starting with - Switch between trim and extend

This tutorial on part creation provides a step by step instruction on creating an assembly using the hinge base parts and hinge pin that we created in the following tutorials – Creating Hinge Base Part and Creating Hinge Pin. Follow the below link for more....

Hinge Assembly - Tutorial for beginners

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast