Thread: Corrupt Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Corrupt Files

I am having a bit of a nightmare with a few AutoCAD drawing files. I am running AutoCAD 2004 on our company's windows XP. I was working on one of our layouts (drawing file size about 5MB). Did some mod work to the drawing and then tried to save. After a long time an error message came up saying "AutoCAD Message - Error - writing/closing file". I had to then shut the drawing down but when I tried to open the file again, it comes up with not being able to open the drawing as it contains incorrect or corrupt material. i tried the recover command but no luck. I got the file back from our server, but same thing happened again. Over the next couple of days the same thing happened with another couple of files (both large files). This doesn't seem to happen to every file and prior to this I have had no problems.
    I don't know whether this is a problem with either the drawing files, the AutoCAD software or our network. Any ideas would be well received.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Corrupt Files

Hi

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS67523 - Error saving to a mapped local location: Windows Delayed Write Failed

+

As you're running and Autodesk 2004 (or 2005) product have you tried the following -

<snip>
    Error Reporting utility let's you send in reports to Autodesk if AutoCAD crashes. Do it and make the next Service Pack or Release more stable. If AutoCAD ends unexpectedly, and the Error Report message is not displayed, make sure the REPORTERROR system variable is set to 1.
    </snip>

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

Mike
    The document you refer to gives a solution to saving to a local location (C:/). I am saving to our server so I do not think this applies. Also Technical document shows it does not apply to 2004 of which I was using.
    I do use the error reporting facility.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kparr
    Mike
    The document you refer to gives a solution to saving to a local location (C:/). I am saving to our server so I do not think this applies. Also Technical document shows it does not apply to 2004 of which I was using.
    I do use the error reporting facility.
    Hi

What happens if you copy the "problem" drawing file to your PC, then work completely locally on the drawing (Saving locally if able to), therefore not involving the network. Does the problem still occur?

Personally I've found it's best to totally ignore the version reference(s) that Technical Documents refer to.

Do you get any feedback when using the Error Reporting Facility? (Am still on AutoCAD 2002 so I've not used it myself).

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to charliep's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just had a similar problem. Used Insert command into new drawing - exploded - purge, audit - saveas. Worked O.K.

Charlie

Login to Give a bone

Okay i know this is really OLD.. But i have been having the same problem. So I am wondering if this is a network issue. I can save to any local machine. But there are 3 of us that are receiving the same error and only on certain drawings that I am pulling from the network location.

So if there is any further input on this error the help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

I need this info today, except that the link that is posted here no longer works.

The link that works is http://support.autodesk.com/Getdoc.asp?ID=TS67523
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I had a fun one today...

Drawing would give the user an error code stating there were 636 errors in the drawing and would ask if the user wanted to cancel opening the file. The user purged, audited, and recovered the drawing, but always got the 636 errors message. I opened the drawing without an error, and when I recovered the drawing and xref, I had three errors. Otherwise, the drawing opened normally.
    Additionally, if the user ignored the error, the file opened and operated fine.
    I remember back in the days when AutoCAD had chronological release numbers, that if I just added something to the drawing or edited the drawing somehow, it usually took care of any messages like this, but then Acad got better at recovering the files, and I haven't found much of anything that couldn't be fixed through recovery. Not to say I don't have issues on a daily basis with AutoCAD doing weird things I can't explain. I just wondered if this is a typical header problem or something….