Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to dynamically update a Field copied from one DWG file to another

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to dynamically update a Field copied from one DWG file to another

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme
    yeah thats the process and it sucks... lol
    Post this in one of the customization groups if you don't know Lisp/VBA/.Net

You should be able to do it programatically which would make this re-linking a snap once it's done.

I have a menu item that inserts a block w/attributes. That block's attributes hold duplicate atribute information that exists in other blocks. A little lisp code automatically adds the fields for the linking upon insert.

Unless you wrote it so that a reactor monitored the copy/paste and ran automatically, you'd have to manually initiate the running of the code after you inserted into the new layout but a single click should then be all it takes to perform the relinking.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to dynamically update a Field copied from one DWG file to another

not sure if i follow what you mean when you say you have block that holds duplicate information.

hopefully somebody who knows some code can figure this out.

thanks for the post!!

Login to Give a bone

Is this field in a block? Have you looked at the Sheet Set Placeholder in the Field editor for a block?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

not sure if i follow what you mean when you say you have block that holds duplicate information.

Hi

I guess you do not know Darren ( DarrenYoung ), lets just say he knows a little bit about coding Autodesk products...

Have a good one, Mike

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the post!!
    I have 2 different blocks in my drawing. One has editable attributes that the user fills out. The second, different title block also has attributes that only contain the same information as the first block. Sample provided as attachment.

In my example, our drawing typically is only a single 8-1/2x11 (A-size) sheet. Occasionaly, we need a "back" so we add a second title block along side of it. The second title block has some (not all) the same information as the first so when viewing the "back" of a printed drawing, there's sumary title lbock information on it. When the second block is inserted, I also call Lisp code that adds the fields automatically to the attributes so they link to the first title block's attributes. We now have one title block to maintain (edit) but 2 have the information and automatically stay in sequence. Print the file to 11x17, fold it in half and we have a drawing with intomation on the front and back.

In the case of this request, something similar would have to happen. But instead of linking the block to another block's attributes, you'd like the blocks' attributes to the needed property of whatever sheet set was current at the time. And because the information is "pasted in", the code would have to be manually initiated unless you jumped through a few extra hoops.

What I'd recommend is creating a drawing and sheet set that reflects the pasted layout that's not linked but should be. Post all that to one of the customization groups as an attachment asking about how to link them via fields. Programmers really aren't very smart. They're like an undisciplined puppy. Throw a shiny object their way and they'll go chasing after it. In this case, the shiny object is your problem that can be solved with code. I'd live to say I'd do it but I don't know that I have time. Someone in the programming groups typically likes helping and doing these types of things for the fun of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Is this field in a block? Have you looked at the Sheet Set Placeholder in the Field editor for a block?
    That might work too. I haven't played with Sheet Sets yet but there are a lof of fields specific to them that work in this manner.

Leave it to a programmer to over complicate things. See, I told everybody programmers aren't very smart.

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

didn't mean to dig on Darren i was really just "asking" if it could be fixed, lol.

yeah the programmers here are awesome, you should see some of the stuff we've collarborated on with LDT, it is just awesome. I can insert a block, have it ping the surface for an elevation AND put that elevation in the attribute.... with 1 click. That is hot.

Oopie, I know about fields, but i don't know what or how to use the Placeholder.... will that work in this case instead of bumming some code? If you can explain it that would be awesome.

thanks for the re-write up Darren :thumbsup:

i didn't realize programmers were junkies like the rest of us, lol. i always feel bad bumming code from them.

Login to Give a bone

Oopie, I know about fields, but i don't know what or how to use the Placeholder.... will that work in this case instead of bumming some code? If you can explain it that would be awesome.
    When you are in the Field Editor, the left list contains different types of fields. Some of those types are for the "Current Sheet Set" They are not linked to any specific Sheet Set. This may be what you need to look into for your problem. I haven't used them in quite some time, so I would need to look over them again.

Good Luck.

i didn't realize programmers were junkies like the rest of us, lol. i always feel bad bumming code from them.
    I think some do not mind jumping in to contribute some code, but others would like for the OP to help out to develop the code. It helps the OP to learn and therefore, help out others as well.

Just my 2¢ on that subject.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12