See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Importing dwg into Viz2007

Login to Give a bone

Default Importing dwg into Viz2007

I've been unable to resolve this myself and have tried various possibilities but seem unable to fix this problem.

I have a dwg file that looks like it's been through an explosion or earthquake when it's imported into Viz2007 although it's fine when viewed with the dwg viewer Trueview2007 and it looks ok in AutoCad 2007 LT. The drawing is positioned (in Viz) at x:-619189.875m and y: -99999.999m. I'm assuming this has something to do with the jagged lines, see attachment. The lines on that image represent 2.5m x 10m parking lines.

When importing with the setting "derive Autocad primitives from: layer" the resulting file is much worse. Set to "entity" gives a better solution.

I don't know Autocad myself but I assume there's a way to fix it in there before importing it in Viz.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Importing dwg into Viz2007

For what it's worth, here's the solution:

What I have to work with is a site drawing drawn 1:1 (about 8x5km big) done in Archicad on the world coordinates, meaning in Autocad and any other CAD package it will come in about 30km's away from the basepoint. What happens when you try to import a drawing that far from 0,0 it affects the accuracy and your cursor becomes erratic and Viz cannot calculate properly. All your lines will be jagged. (Check the help file for importing large drawings. Large as in dimension and not large as in filesize) It will stay jagged even if you move the drawing in Viz to the 0,0 point because all the lines get calculated during import time.

If you don't have Autocad to fix it before you import it then you're screwed. I don't have Autocad, but I managed to get hold of a pc with Autocad. So what you do when you get a dwg that imports bad is to open the file in Autocad select the whole drawing, copy it, paste it in a new drawing near the default 0,0 point. Save it and import that dwg into Viz.

For some reason it doesn't help to select all the objects and move them to a new location in Autocad. It must be a new file. Don't ask me why.

A nice feature in Viz would actually be the ability to place an imported drawing before it imports, or having a tick box to specify that the centre of the dwg to be imported must be 0,0.