Thread: Mirror a project.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

IF YOU HAVE HANDED VERSIONS OF A BUILDING -
    I have "handed" house type I use on Revit. What I do is wait until one of them is completely finished. I then "saveas" to the handed version, delete everything EXCEPT the levels, views, sections and sheets. I then link in the original version and mirror that about a ref plane (you need an x and y ref plane for mirroring detail on sections etc) I then Copy, paste and mirror all the detail components into each view from the original file. Dimensions have to be exported to a dwg file, then linked in and mirrored.

It sounds like a lot of bother, but it is excellent - as I only need alter the one file, and the handed version changes too - exceopt the detail components, you could try doing these as saved groups and loading them, but if you have any experience of using groups you probably wont!

DONT HAVE HANDED VERSION
    The other option is to try and do it in Revit in the model, the success of this usually depends on how big/complicated the model is - it also seems to help if you do it a bit at a time - sometimes one object can cause problems, this way you isolate it - although it is worth trying to do it in one go first to see what happens, this is best done in 3D view with a window to select everyting, then mirror in a plan view. Again if you set up an X and Y ref plane that it is mirrored about, it helps you mirror the detail components and notes in each indiviual view. When you are mirroring the detail and text, draw a detail line over the ref plane, switch "display model" in the view properties to "do not display" then mirror your detail and text. - Note if you mirror a bit at a time - the X and Y plane will be away from the model, it is better to get it one go if you can, that way your views are still set up, but if it refuses, try a bit at a time, then move it back.

The QUICK/TEMPORARY FIX
    export it all to dwg files, then mirror each Xref.... this presumes you have autocad to do it. - but as you can imagine it is not a way to work on a projects, but it lets you quickly show your client a handed version of the drawings ( you can then spend more time in Revit getting it to work)

THE WISH - If I could explode a linked Revit file, problem solved..........

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mirror a project.

You have to export the dimensions? Huh... Cool that the dimensions survive the round trip! It's great software...

I could stop if I wanted to Kroke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mirror a project.

Too bad you can't simply mirror a project without such work arounds.
    Anyhow, good work Martin.