See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance review sheet to be used for each CAD Technician's yearly review.

I could stop if I wanted to andy.manninen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Performance review sheet to be used for each CAD Technician's yearly review.

Being a new CAD manager, i am looking for some wisdom. I have been asked to put together a performance review sheet to be used for each CAD Technician's yearly review. I am looking for help as to how i should break up the items to be on the sheet. The two big items will be CAD standards, and CAD experience/ understanding. I was thinking of a 1 to 5 rating system, but that is as far as i have gone. What have you guys/gals been using or think should be part of this? Thanks for the help!

:Cheers:

I could stop if I wanted to JASONM30395's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Performance review sheet to be used for each CAD Technician's yearly review.

One thing you might want to consider is breaking CAD standards in to two categories. 1) electronic standards and 2) presentation standards.

One thing I'm starting to see as a trend is that the "kids" are good with the electronic standards but lack in their presentation skills, where as some "old guys" can make anything look good on paper but you would never have to want to have to modify their drawings because it would take you 4 times as long as it should.
    Loyalty above all else except honor
    For my honor is my life!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Performance review sheet to be used for each CAD Technician's yearly review.

Other things to look at are how well they can interpret the information given, ability to work unsupervised, initiative, communication skills (non-graphical), the one I always like to chuck in is "what little bit extra have you added to the team?".

There are the usual things of; how fast do they produce drawings, do they come looking for work or just sit there (that drives me nuts), can they generate their own work when the workload is light (like updating standard drawings, tidying up directories, etc.), what new things do they want to learn.

And the most important of all; can they make a nice cup of tea?

Login to Give a bone

Good advice so far! anyone else want weigh in?

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Consider that in the eyes of a cad designer, a performance review is brutal.
    It is a good possibility that every cad designer on the planet is going to
    bat 80% on a performance review. The job is so detail oriented that mistakes
    are often a part of the job.

The performance review should not be directly linked to a yearly pay raise.
    Not too fair when considering the job description.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Hall
    are often a part of the job. .
    I always like to look at how a mistake is handled. I agree that everyone makes them, it's how they deal with it that matters. I like people to be able to admit that they are human and offer a way to put it right, rather than playing the blame game, then when they say that it was as a result of so-and-so, you believe them.
    When is the right time for the pay review? I have never quite got to grips with that little chestnut.

Login to Give a bone

are often a part of the job.

Thats very true, what i am hoping to use this for is to determine areas needed for training and find areas that they excel at. This review is more of a career assessment and is not going to be used in the tech's actual pay scale. unless there are major issues. Good point!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by andy.manninen
    Thats very true, what i am hoping to use this for is to determine areas needed for training and find areas that they excel at. This review is more of a career assessment and is not going to be used in the tech's actual pay scale. unless there are major issues. Good point!

Should the employee know ahead of time if the review is for training purposes and not monetary purposes? And when can it be changed to the other?

Does that make sense?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    Should the employee know ahead of time if the review is for training purposes and not monetary purposes? And when can it be changed to the other?

Does that make sense?
    I may have to put a disclaimer on the form I'm not even sure if the Tech will even be privy to what is on this sheet. The sheet may only be seen by their Project Manager and me to be discussed with the Tech around review time. These are issues that still need to be ironed out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by andy.manninen
    I may have to put a disclaimer on the form I'm not even sure if the Tech will even be privy to what is on this sheet. The sheet may only be seen by their Project Manager and me to be discussed with the Tech around review time. These are issues that still need to be ironed out.

I would always try to be as open as possible with the employee, if you hide stuff away, they will think the worst!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast