Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit on a Mac through Parallels

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit on a Mac through Parallels

For all of you fence sitters, now is the time to move. I just got my new Mac (24" Imac) and loaded Parallels, Windows XP, and then Revit Structures 4...absolutly amazing. Below is the comparison of my old machine vs the new.

My old machine was a smokin' fast custom built Shuttle computer with a 2.65 mhz AMD 64. I had 2 gigs of ram, and outside of the normal windows crashs and quarterly reformat, everything worked great. Revit was incredible on the machine. Spinning the model in 3d was as fluid as you would expect. I could drive the machine as hard as I wanted. Windows booted up in about 10-15 seconds. Revit loaded up in another 8-10 seconds or so.

When the Core 2 Duo processors came out for mac, I figured now was the time to move. Attached below is a screen shot of Revit running in a window in OS X. I am truely amazed at the performance. I am trying to figure out a way to quantify the difference in speed but I have to say that Revit feels much faster on the mac than on my old machine. Windows boots in about 3-5 seconds. Revit opens in another 3 seconds. You can go full screen and there is no difference between the look of my old PC and the new Mac except for the size and beauty of the 24in screen on the mac. Thats alot of real estate to park Revit on. Everything works the same as on a PC. The pan, zoom, spin workes great. It just works faster on the mac.

In the attachment, I show Revit with 2 open models. Both models are in shaded mode. One has shadows turned on. The shadows update with in a second when I pan or spin.

I wish Autodesk would take the opportunity to port Revit over to mac. But this is the next best thing. Revit is the only reason I have to mess with Windows. Just imagin how fast Revit would be if it ran Native on Mac. Dang.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit on a Mac through Parallels

Great news! Thanks for posting this...I am going to get a Mac for my next computer, but have been waiting to hear more experiences of running Revit using Parallels, the dual boot with Boot Camp doesn't do it for me.

I have been thinking about getting a Mac Pro, I am curious as to why you got the iMac instead of the Mac Pro.

Also, what would be really cool is to see the model spinning with shadows and Revit loading up using the video demo software Max Lloyd posted. He said it's very simple to use.

Login to Give a bone

Great news! Thanks for posting this...I am going to get a Mac for my next computer, but have been waiting to hear more experiences of running Revit using Parallels, the dual boot with Boot Camp doesn't do it for me.

I have been thinking about getting a Mac Pro, I am curious as to why you got the iMac instead of the Mac Pro.

Also, what would be really cool is to see the model spinning with shadows and Revit loading up using the video demo software Max Lloyd posted. He said it's very simple to use.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=47237

All AUGI, all the time BomberAIA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have been thinking about getting a Mac Pro. I have been reading the Parallels Forum. Parallels does not support 64 bit yet, but they are working on it. They also only support 2 gigs of ram in a XP window. I would love to switch to a Mac. I'm waiting for the Macbook Pro to come out with the Dual 2 Core chip.

Login to Give a bone

Parallels now has no limitation on Ram. They just put out a 1908 Build.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wow - I didn't think Parallels could allow you to run Revit well with Windows XP run in a window like that. The XP interface looks so dorky alongside the Mac GUI

I could stop if I wanted to neb1998's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

the only bad news....try running revit on a new duo core extreme edition, the speed will easily outperform any parallels attempt on os X. the new mac's are identical to pc's in terms of hardware now, the only difference is the OS.

Apple is copying pc's now and microsoft is copying apple...so the 2 will converge eventually and apple will lose even more market share. So the inevitable outcome still places revit on a windows pc, which strategically will enable better peformance into the future.

I think we can all say we would like the revit engineers to work on performance issues instead of just porting and ending up with the same mess on os X.

I dont even like the term Apple computer anymore, Just call it an OS X computer, because when you open them up, they are identical except for a few bios changes that are an exact function of the different OS.

Steve jobs has done it again, take a very simple device and market the hell out of it...This time he is taking a PC, calling it a mac...and shipping it in a white box. Genius.

All AUGI, all the time archjake's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was amused at a class that Phil Read gave in the Phoenix area. He showed up with an apple laptop and ran Revit in straight windows and then at later class ( he gave 3 that day) she changed over to parallels. It was amusing to watch the screen flip around on the cube. One face was OS X and the other face it flipped to was Windows XP.

Something else that was amusing was the people trying to set the projector up. The guy didn't know where to plug the projector into on the Mac. I guess you need a Mac connector that plugs into a multipurpose port.

I could stop if I wanted to Phil Read's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BomberAIA
    Parallels now has no limitation on Ram. They just put out a 1908 Build.
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been very, very pleased running Revit via parallels and this is even better news.

-Phil

Login to Give a bone

Phil:
    How much ram did you allocate to XP on Parallel? Which one performed better, Boot Camp or Parallel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast