Thread: Setting up Floating Viewports with Layer Settings preset

Login to Give a bone

Default Setting up Floating Viewports with Layer Settings preset

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I work for an interior design firm which uses a third party software to insert furniture blocks in to AutoCAD drawings.

The software has a custom pull down which will allow the user to turn layers on and off, depending on what the user needs to see. For instance, the user can select to see installation plans, panel plans, elec plans, etc. Depending on what is selected, the layers for that area quickly change and are able to be viewing in the drawing.

The problem:

Often times the third party software does not isolate the correct layers as desired for the type of drawings the freezing and thawing is taking place for. What I would like to do is be able to create "smart" viewports which are already set up to handle this task.

Is it possible to build a custom viewport which will allow the user to draw a viewport by clicking say a pull down menu item and manipulate the model space layers from a paper space viewport?

I tried creating a viewport and setting up the layers and making it a tool palette item, but that didn't do what I had hoped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setting up Floating Viewports with Layer Settings preset

Can you create a layout & viewport with the layer settings as you want? You could then import that layout a few different ways into your drawing. You could have different versions for each style.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I might have to do that. I have 6 different scenarios to deal with. I may just have to make 6 different viewports and toggle the one which needs to show on depending on what has to be displayed. Which I could come up with something a little more sexy...lol!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pgetz
    I might have to do that. I have 6 different scenarios to deal with. I may just have to make 6 different viewports and toggle the one which needs to show on depending on what has to be displayed. Which I could come up with something a little more sexy...lol!
    You could probably develop a button that would apply certain layer settings to a viewport, depends on how many layers are being switched and how much intelligence the system needs. Another option would be to create some standard layer states in LAS files?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

YOU COULD CREATE AN X-REF OF YOUR FURNITURE LAYOUTS AND DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS. THEN YOU COULD TURN ON THE LAYERS OF THE DIFFERENT X-REFS THAT YOU OR YOUR CLIENT WOULD LIKE TO SEE. FOR INSTANCE. YOU HAVE 3 LAYOUTS TO SHOW YOUR CLIENT. YOU MAKE 3 X-REFS DETAILING YOUR LAYOUTS. IMPORT THEM ON DIFFERENT LAYERS. IF YOU WANT TO MOVE THE CUBICLES AROUND A DIFFERENT WAY THEN SHUT OFF ONE AND TURN ON THE OHER.OTHER THAN THAT YOU CAN ADD A FEW LAYOUT PAGES AND A COUPLE OF PLANS WITH YOUR FURNATURE OVERLAYS. THEN CLICK TAB TO TAB WITH THE CUSTOMER SHOWING DIFFERENT CONFIGS ON EACH TAB. THIS MAKES FOR LARGE FILE SIZES. WHEREAS THE X-REF KEEPS LOADING TIME DOWN WITH SMALLER FILE SIZES. HAVE FUN... YOU HAVE SOME CHOICES.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for everyones feedback. I will give this a bit more though and let you all know what I come up with. I really appreciate everyone's input!

Login to Give a bone

We had a situation that needed something like you are dealing with. We just created a viewport, set all the layers the way we wanted them, made a block of it and stashed it away in model space in a purge block, we had about 10 different viewports named uniquely that we created this way. Then we have a button that;

-insert;viewportblock_name;\;;; (inserts the correct block)

_explode;l; (explodes the last entity created)

-vports;on;l;; (which turns on the last viewport created, otherwise you have a nice rectangle you cant see anything in. )

you then resize, zoom, pan to what you need, but the layers are already set.

Chris

P.S. Lisp or such could probably do better, but we have all LT stations so thats not an option.