See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Out-of-date surface

Login to Give a bone

Default Out-of-date surface

I have just installed LD 2007 on a machine and when I open my drawing and try to set my current surface, it reads out-of-date. Can anyone tell me how to update the surface

Thanks!

Jose'

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Out-of-date surface

Before going too far, have you installed SP1 yet?
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=2475345
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jorozco
    I have just installed LD 2007 on a machine and when I open my drawing and try to set my current surface, it reads out-of-date. Can anyone tell me how to update the surface
    This seems to be a common problem with both 2006 and 2007. It is NOT fixed in 2007 SP1. Your surface should be OK, though, and you should be able to use it for everything, even though it says "Out of Date". You just need to be careful that you don't use a surface that really is out of date. When in doubt, rebuild the surface.

Login to Give a bone

I've noticed the same issue recently. I found that if you right-click on the surface name and select 'save' it now shows the status as 'OK'.
    I hope this helps and that I'm not causing myself more trouble down the line!

Mike P.

Login to Give a bone

I've seen this for years myself, ever since they introduced the "Terrain Model Explorer". I could easily be wrong, but as far as I can tell "out-of-date" means absolutely nothing. Surface still works just fine. You can get rid of the message by just regenerating the surface, but there is no point to do doing it really.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have found that if you do any grading type of commands (Points, profiles, cross-sections and made any edits to them) your surface will show as out of date. IMHO I believe it is just letting you know that there has been some data that has been edited, added or removed in your working surface. If you have a point group that includes All points, add a few more and not update the point group, you will get the icon showing changes have occurred in that group, the "Out Of Date" label is the same idea.
    Mark Hultgren
    Just a Lurker
    http://www.MKW-Ind.com
    Blog
    Socializing??

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by moseeng
    I've seen this for years myself, ever since they introduced the "Terrain Model Explorer". I could easily be wrong, but as far as I can tell "out-of-date" means absolutely nothing. Surface still works just fine. You can get rid of the message by just regenerating the surface, but there is no point to do doing it really.
    "Out of date" does mean something. It means you've changed something that affects the surface, and the surface needs to be rebuilt. The problem is that a surface can get flagged "Out of date" when it shouldn't be. I don't ever remember noticing this problem with 2004 (and I used that for nearly 3 years), but it's definitely a common problem in 2006 and 2007.

Sometimes a surface will be erroneously flagged as "Out of date", and rebuilding it causes it to show up as "OK". Sometimes surfaces will say "Out of date" no matter what you do. They say "Out of date" right after you build them. When this happens, there is no workaround that I've been able to discover - the surface will never be flagged "OK". But the surface works fine for all purposes - it's just flagged "Out of date".

There can be a good reason to regenerate such a surface, especially if you're in a multi-user environment. If you're the only user and you know you've done nothing that should affect the surface, then you probably don't need to worry about it. But that gets a lot murkier when you aren't the only one working on projects. All in all, this problem is highly irksome, but it can be worked around.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry, I guess saying "means absolutely nothing" was the wrong thing to say. It means nothing to me, but I don't work in multiuser and if I change the surface I always save it as a different name so I have both new and old surfaces if I need them. My main point, as you said, was that the surface you created works fine even if it's "out of date". And as long as you know that the surface created is the one you want to work with, "out of date" means nothing, it still works just fine.