See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Elevation View Depth Work Around?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Elevation View Depth Work Around?

Is there away to show different elevation debt by projecting different hatch patterns line weights, gray scale components and all the other tricks you would do in AutoCAD? At this moment you can't see the difference between an building that stands in the front and one that stands 50 yards in the back. Orient to elevation view works to show important building components like stairs behind a glazed facade, but I lose my levels and grids.

All AUGI, all the time Justin Marchiel's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Elevation View Depth Work Around?

not a very revit way of doing it, but you could use the linework tool to fade some line to a thinner lineweight, similar to acad.

Justin

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchiel-barch
    not a very revit way of doing it, but you could use the linework tool to fade some line to a thinner lineweight, similar to acad.

Justin
    I've tried that already and it works to a certain degree, but with uncontrollable hatch patterns, you don;t a very convincing affect.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpage23
    ...Orient to elevation view works to show important building components like stairs behind a glazed facade, but I lose my levels and grids.
    Hi Andrew...Actually, in regards to using a 3d view...I have done that also, to see thru the glass, where I have both a 3d elevation and a 2d elevation and I place them both on a single sheet...one on top of the other and it works great!!!!! You'll see the grids and levels, dimensions, etc...

Regards,

Login to Give a bone

Since we have revit series, we decided to use autocad for elevation presentations and elevation studies.

Login to Give a bone

That's fine Andrew, but this is an example of the Elevation that I automatically get in Revit, with no drafting involved. With this as a basis, I can change the lineweights of the elevation and basically enhance the elevations...but to me, this reads good enough. Shadows and Silhouette Edges using Wide Lines is all I did, and of course overlapping the 3d elevation on top of the 2d elevation (which the 2d is just plain lines, no shadows, no silhouette edges...the 2d model elements get hidden behind the 3d, where the 2d are visibleover the 3d)

Of course, if you are happy with drafting the elevation in autocad, and it works, then by all means you should continue to do it that way.

(BTW, there is nothing extraordinary with this project, but it is the version that we are currently working on, etc....)

Take care,

Login to Give a bone

Luigi, thanks for those images, you can't tell if they were made in Revit or AutoCAD. I've received many complaints of team members that they are unable to get the elevation to look they way they want. I'll use your images to show them that it is possible. But for now, they are very happy that they "are allowed" to use AutoCAD again.

All AUGI, all the time Max Lloyd's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Luigi, you have inspired me.....

....oh my god....Trick of the year coming up......

On the basis that a 3d view oriented to an elevation see's through glass.....why not use luigi's technique, but add another little element.

why not place a series of glass screens perpendicular to the elevation, say at 5 metre intervals. The further objects are away from the view point, the fainter they will appear as the more sheets of glass will be obstructing them!

Brilliant or what!

Cool thing is, you can make a separate material for these and contol their transparency, even a subcategory so that they don't effect side views in the same way etc. You could even do the same principle for sections.

I reckon its a winner! See what you think?

Linework in elevations now a thing of the past....????

Regards,

Max.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Max Lloyd; 2006-09-28 at 08:49 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Dear all,

I am working on a goup housing project which has 6 types of unit which was placed to create floor layout for 5 towers. so we have created units 1-6 as group. created typical floor layout by calling loading these groups in new file named typical floor layout Tower$. and then linked this layout file to tower file and arrayed to create tower. see the attached pic. but we are facing problem in elevation

1 I used override graphics by element in layout file elevation to give view depth to elevation.
    2 but still facing problem with floor line in tower file( see the pic). i can't do join geometry in link file

Any suggestion to solve the problem. we dont want to issue elevation with floor line. its confusing.

Regards,
    Annie
    Attached Images Attached Images