Thread: GPS Waypoints

Login to Give a bone

Default GPS Waypoints

I was wondering if you could import GPS way-points into C3D? The gps I am referring to would be for instance a garmin 7200 hand held, like the one you would take hunting or hiking. The program we have is Mapsource, which came with the gps units.

You can save the points as a ..gdb file or you can export as a .mps, .txt(tab delimited), or a .dxf. Now if I export as a .dxf file then when importing it as a xref then the scale is way off(very tiny) compared to the file that I am importing into.

In order to use that file you have to scale it up, but you need to be able to scale it up in the X and in the Y.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: GPS Waypoints

I would place the dxf in a file of it's own and then Insert it into your Map drawing. When you do, you can scale X,Y,and Z seperately.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MHultgren
    I would place the dxf in a file of it's own and then Insert it into your Map drawing. When you do, you can scale X,Y,and Z seperately.
    yes but I was wondering if there was an easier way of doing that. right now in order to do that you have to have known points to get the distance and then do the calculation on what to scale it

Login to Give a bone

Do you not know the measurement for the information? Is it in meters, feet, inches? You could look into the INSUNITS, INSUNITSDEFSOURCE, INSUNITSDEFTARGET variables to let AutoCAD do some of the work for you.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

I've heard about the program called "GPS2CAD" and that it works for collegues in other office.
    Yet, i haven't tried it myself so I can't really tell you how it works or if it really works but I thought you shold give it a try.

Young.