Thread: Redefine Groups

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Redefine Groups

Someone in my office would like to know if you can redefine groups in Revit, like how you can redefine blocks in AutoCad.

Meaning, when I create a block in AutoCad and save the block as "chair", then i decide that i don't like how that block is, i draw another chair, go into the block command again, name it chair, select the new chair I just drew hit okay, then a dialog box comes up and tells me, the "chair" is already defined. there are 'x' number block reference already exists in the drawing. Update the definition and the block references? and then i hit yes and it redefines the group. and updates all the instances in the drawing.

is there something like that in Revit?

hope i make sense.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Redefine Groups

Sure... slightly different process. Draw the element(s) you want in your new group, add them to the group and remove the old objects from the group. Keep in mind that the origin of the group is where the other instances of the group will update from.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

We understand that aspect of redefining the group. and apologies for not be clearer. But what he really wants to do is redefine the group without having to use the edit group command and then clicking the add to group command.

What he did was redrew the group (call it Unit A) with more information in it, and he would like to (for lack of a better phase) "save as" that group as the new Unit A. and have the old Unit A in the project update.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

then no... unless maybe you do it in a new file and save the group out and reimport it

best way to do what he's doing is to ungroup a copy of the unit, make the necessary changes, regroup and relocate the origin (that last part i'm a little uncertain about though)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nnguyen
    We understand that aspect of redefining the group. and apologies for not be clearer. But what he really wants to do is redefine the group without having to use the edit group command and then clicking the add to group command.

What he did was redrew the group (call it Unit A) with more information in it, and he would like to (for lack of a better phase) "save as" that group as the new Unit A. and have the old Unit A in the project update.
    First you can do it right in the project. Simply make a new "Group B".Select the "Group A's" you want to change. Swap them to "Group B". As mentioned before the origin icon will be used as the insertion swap point. Rename "Group A" to "Group Something Else". Then rename "Group B", "Group A"...