See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Keynotes

Login to Give a bone

Default Keynotes

It'd be nice if there were a versatile key note generator. Picking a point for the leader and being able to drag around the keynote number if necessary. Then the table is automatically generated and all the text could be entered manually.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Keynotes

Quote Originally Posted by bbamburg
    It'd be nice if there were a versatile key note generator. Picking a point for the leader and being able to drag around the keynote number if necessary. Then the table is automatically generated and all the text could be entered manually.
    What version of ABS are you using? I am but a mere ADT users, but seing that ABS is built on top of ADT and supposedly has all of ADT's functionality [plus more for ABS stuff], you should be able to use the Keynoting feature built into ADT. Whether the out-of-the-box database is suitable for engineering use [or has been made so for ABS] is another question....

Login to Give a bone

Out of the Box it's not fun. I tried using it and you can only select certain descriptions from a pre-set list. It's more like a label than a note. When we use keynotes our descriptions say something like "CONNECT VENT TO BASE OF WASTE RISER AND ROUTE UP AS INDICATED". That's why I was saying it would be nice if you could enter the text manually. So far I haven't been able to make them serve that purpose.

Versatile Keynote Generator

select start point for leader, and end point, numbers generated chronologically (but can be modified if necessary), Specify location for Keynote Table, Table automatically generated with editable text descriptions, uniform spacing between the end of one keynote description and the beginning of the next description.(of course descriptions will vary in length). It's starting to sound a little complicated.
    Last edited by bbambu; 2006-10-24 at 06:25 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bbambu
    Out of the Box it's not fun. I tried using it and you can only select certain descriptions from a pre-set list. It's more like a label than a note. When we use keynotes our descriptions say something like "CONNECT VENT TO BASE OF WASTE RISER AND ROUTE UP AS INDICATED". That's why I was saying it would be nice if you could enter the text manually. So far I haven't been able to make them serve that purpose.
    You would need to edit the AEC Keynote database to display the keynotes you wish to see. Currently the "pre-set list" is based on the 16 division CSI Master Spec series. You'll probably want to take a class on Microsoft Access if you will be editing large portions of the database as that will be more efficient for editing large chunks as opposed to edit ig just a few in ADT itself. Also, use a copy of the original, never modify the source if possible.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

All the keynotes are different. We may reuse a couple of them, but most of them aren't generic instructions (sorry I referred to them as descriptoins earlier, I need to choose my words wisely). Wouldn't that mean I would need to edit the data base for every single floor plan and detail drawing in every single project? It would just be easier to draw a circle, add a leader, insert the number, and copy and paste a previous keynote table and edit the text like we've been doing. It's doable, but lining everything up just right for the table takes effort.

The only thing that would need to be changed about the current keynote tool, is to allow for text to be entered manually. The other detail I mentioned would just be a bonus.

(what determines your reputation on these forums?)
    Last edited by bbambu; 2006-10-24 at 07:26 PM.

Login to Give a bone

All the keynotes are different. We may reuse a couple of them, but most of them aren't generic instructions (sorry I referred to them as descriptoins earlier, I need to choose my words wisely). Wouldn't that mean I would need to edit the data base for every single floor plan and detail drawing in every single project? It would just be easier to draw a circle, add a leader, insert the number, and copy and paste a previous keynote table and edit the text like we've been doing. It's doable, but lining everything up just right for the table takes effort.

The only thing that would need to be changed about the current keynote tool, is to allow for text to be entered manually. The other detail I mentioned would just be a bonus.

(what determines your reputation on these forums?)
    I see your point about manually entering text, but that is kinda defeating the purpose of keynotes. The thought behind them is to have a consistancy for your entire construction doc set so that one page does not call out gyp. brd in one detail, GB in another, wall board in another, sheet rock in another and so on. If you want to have different text for each time you use it, you can always keynote lines instead and then you will be prompted to pick a keynote from the database and can enter a new one if desired that can be used in other locations.

Reputation you ask? try searching under forum general for reputation.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    I see your point about manually entering text, but that is kinda defeating the purpose of keynotes.
    Well could you do it anyway? Call it a different tool maybe?

Login to Give a bone

Well could you do it anyway? Call it a different tool maybe?
    It would almost mean that the tool itself would edit the keynote database and the link it uses to fill the table.

hmmm...

That's sounds pretty complex. Outta my league to comment on but that would sure be better than digging thru all the boxes that are seen when adding manual keynotes.