See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One View on Two Separate Sheets?

Login to Give a bone

Default One View on Two Separate Sheets?

Is there any method, trick, or tool to allow the same view on separate sheets?

Specifically I"m beginning to deal with addendum's in a Revit project and am looking for a way to show changes on Addendum sheets without having to duplicate a view with detailing. I'm worried that 3 months into construction my list of duplicated views will be a mile long when I'd rather use the Addendum sheet to zoom in on existing drawings/views as they change.

Any advice or tips others have is appreciated. Thank you.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: One View on Two Separate Sheets?

For addendums I would export to dwg, this way they never change, you'll have a digital record of the addendums you issued.

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Personally, I go with dwf's..they are locked in and you have a free viewer

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I use PDFs. They're a more standard format, everyone already has the viewer, thus the viewer will stay around for many years to come, they're viewable even on a Mac, and (in the case of addenda) there's no need for the layer or 3D capability of DWF or the re-editing capability of DWG.

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

used to use PDF's as well, but I really like the format of dwf's, file sizes are smaller/ booklet easy to look at, easier to print full size (A1) with no resolution probs.

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by alexpage
    used to use PDF's as well, but I really like the format of dwf's, file sizes are smaller/ booklet easy to look at, easier to print full size (A1) with no resolution probs.
    If you use Adobe Acrobat to create the PDF and use the right settings, there is no resolution problem. Many people try to get by cheaper by using a cheaper PDF utility. That's the problem. Also, the file sizes are not always smaller with dwf. It's really a **** shoot - sometimes PDFs are smaller and sometimes DWFs are. Be careful not to trust Autodesk's published claims. Test it for yourself. It all depends on the project, what the views are set up like, and if you're using Advanced Modeling Graphics or renderings in the PDF/DWF. YMMV. Also, by using Acrobat, you CAN get the multi-page PDFs (what you're calling a "booklet"). I do it all the time.

About 2 years ago, this same debate created a head-to-head comparison at AU among us Reviteers. We had one laptop with a DWF open and mine with a PDF open. Both looked identical in clarity - no matter how close we zoomed. Also, the file sizes were similar. Again, YMMV.

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ryan.88885
    Specifically I"m beginning to deal with addendum's in a Revit project and am looking for a way to show changes on Addendum sheets without having to duplicate a view with detailing. I'm worried that 3 months into construction my list of duplicated views will be a mile long when I'd rather use the Addendum sheet to zoom in on existing drawings/views as they change.
    I don't know if I'm speaking for Ryan, but if I understand his question right, I have the same need, and none of the responses in this thread have addressed this particular issue. I agree with those who have said that addenda should be archived as either .pdf's (my preference) or .dwf's, but that's really not the point to be made here.

Specifically, we need the ability to take a portion of a large sheet (whether it be one drawing, part of a drawing, or multiple drawings) and place that portion on an 8.5x11" sheet with its own title block, and in that title block make reference to the large sheet that it came from. Simply creating .pdf files or .dwf files is not the answer -- we need a way to print a smaller portion of the sheet, and slap that mini title block and supplemental (8.5x11) sheet number on it. I know this could be done using a piecemeal approach, but Revit is already so smart about understanding how architects work, I think this is really one more aspect of project work that it needs to understand and accommodate.

I tried making a callout of a view on the sheet, but that does not bring over the revision clouds and tags, which is a VERY important part of an addendum. I finally had to duplicate with detailing as Ryan has mentioned, and I agree 100% with him that this makes for unnecessary clutter and duplication of effort.

Also, this is a little on a tangent, but Revit needs to have built-in parameters for sheets that indicate sheet size. I have defined my own sheet parameter for sheet size so that I can group them in my browser structure by size (8.5x11, 24x36" etc.), but each time I create a sheet, even though I select my titleblock for a given size, I have to remember to go back and change the properties of the drawing sheet so that the sheet size parameter is not blank, but instead matches the size of the titleblock with which it was created. Does anyone else have this same technique, or agree that it would be useful?

<edit> Maybe the first and last messages in this thread should be moved to the wishlist, and the others moved into one of the many threads discussing .pdf vs. dwf. <edit>
    Last edited by Haden; 2005-08-06 at 05:57 AM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by hadens
    ...none of the responses in this thread have addressed this particular issue...

Specifically, we need the ability to take a portion of a large sheet (whether it be one drawing, part of a drawing, or multiple drawings) and place that portion on an 8.5x11" sheet with its own title block, and in that title block make reference to the large sheet that it came from.
    Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down.

What happens to the portion of the larger view once it is part of this smaller sheet? Is all the work (change) done on the larger view? The function of this is to avoid plotting and issuing a large sheet again when only a small area is affected? True?

What about an area of the project that requires a change that isn't already on a sheet or at least not at a scale that communicates well, like an enlarged view of a room that wasn't done before. You'd have to create a new view and that view could go on a smaller sheet, true?

What if there was a "snapshot" concept in Revit where you could draw a region to tell Revit to create a view of another as a static "image" of that region. Does such a concept begin to solve the problem?

Login to Give a bone

Just another case where it will be useful.
    Sometimes we have to place the site plan on 1/2000 or 1/5000 scale on EACH sheet of the project.
    And the plan must be Up todate.
    If we have 100 sheets, we need to create 100 duplicate views.
    It will be useful to have something like legend views relative to all the project.

I could stop if I wanted to Haden's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gravelin
    Sometimes we have to place the site plan on 1/2000 or 1/5000 scale on EACH sheet of the project...If we have 100 sheets, we need to create 100 duplicate views.
    It will be useful to have something like legend views relative to all the project.
    I agree as well. This thread followed that same line of thinking, talking about the need for key plans: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...highlight=plan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast