Thread: Assign a Layer State to a Sheet Set then use that Layer State when Plotting

Login to Give a bone

Default Assign a Layer State to a Sheet Set then use that Layer State when Plotting

hey is there a way to assign a layer manager to a sheetset and have it revert to that layer manager whenever you print from the sheetset manager.I do not understand lisp routines or anything like that so i apologize beforehand if i don't understand some of the things that are posted.
    Pedro Gastelum Jr.
    CAD Tech

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assign a Layer State to a Sheet Set then use that Layer State when Plotting

When you say assign a "layer manager", do you really mean assign a "layer state"?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

I could stop if I wanted to Hammer.John.J's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assign a Layer State to a Sheet Set then use that Layer State when Plotting

Honestly, i think either would work at this point, granted layer managers are more of staple than layer states are from my experience. Alas, using layerstates seems more functional and easier to work with programmatically versus expresstools version.

Login to Give a bone

yes, layer states. thats what i mean.
    Pedro Gastelum Jr.
    CAD Tech

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pgastelum
    hey is there a way to assign a layer manager to a sheetset and have it revert to that layer manager whenever you print from the sheetset manager.
    Autodesk would undoubtedly tell you to move to the convention of using Plot drawings and Model drawings. With this system, most of your work is in Model drawings, which are never plotted. Then these Model drawings get XREF'd into Plot drawings, which are the drawings you plot. The goal is to move toward the habit of 1 Plot DWG = 1 plotted sheet. Then you have no need for layer states - the Plot drawing has all layer states set correctly, and your issue goes away.

Login to Give a bone

I don't see the benefit of having a douplicate drawing just to plot the information in model space. If that were the case, then why not just get rid of paperspace and plot model space because 1 plot = 1 dwg.

Wouldn't this method require you to update the layers in 2 drawings, the model drawing and the plot drawing, then fix how it print the plot drawing anyways? To me thats twice the work if layers are added after the plot drawing is made.

say you have a 2 lot subdivision.
    you have 2 drawings, a survey and a site plan
    site plan contains layout, grading, utilities and xref's the survey.

to print i would need 6 drawings instead of 2, 4 of them are duplicate because they would be simply a gradingplot layoutplot utilitiesplot surveyplot plus the 2 working drawings. beyond that the plot drawings all reference the same 2 cad files with all the info anyways.

why not just make 1 layout tab in the survey for the survey drawing and 3 layout tabs with 3 layer mangers for the site plan (layout, grading, utilities) and be done with it?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme
    granted layer managers are more of staple than layer states are from my experience.
    What are "layer managers"?

"Layer Manager" is the GUI for accessing layers and their properties.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    What are "layer managers"?

"Layer Manager" is the GUI for accessing layers and their properties.
    i understand that but there are many alia's for express tool layerstates and layer dialogue box embedded layer states, whatever the proper name for the layer dialogue box layerstates are, i don't know but it seems more people are familiar with express tools version which are not importable into the dialogue box type.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 03xtreme
    I don't see the benefit of having a douplicate drawing just to plot the information in model space. If that were the case, then why not just get rid of paperspace and plot model space because 1 plot = 1 dwg.
    There are a ton of benefits. We've been doing things like this for a while now, and it simplifies a huge number of issues. We will sometimes use multiple layout tabs in one drawing, but usually it's 1 Plot DWG = 1 printed page. I don't really have time to give a complete synopsis right now of all the benefits, but I highly recommend it.

Sure, you have more drawings, but it ends up being a lot easier to manage things. A whole bunch of issues go away. Not to mention, multiple people can be working on the project simultaneously. And if you ever send your drawings to anyone, it's also a lot easier for them to use than if you shove everything into one drawing and use Layer States - that is invariably a convoluted mess to anyone else who may try to use your drawings.