Thread: Packaging a DVB program

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Packaging a DVB program

Is there a way to package up and distribute a DVB program where all the components are available to whoever loads it. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to add things like sounds and flexgrids to my programs because certain users don't have the "multimedia" OCX or something else on their machine in the system32 directory. Also, whenever I do copy the "missing" files to their machine, it's still kinda hit or miss as to whether it'll work ALL the time. Why on earth do these things simply work on my machine and not theirs?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Packaging a DVB program

VBA is not intended to be 'distributable' like an exe is. There are other tools available in vb for packaging an install that are not available in vba. Although you can reference other files installed on your pc, most license agreements prohibit you from redistributing them. What your prog should do is simply check to see if they have been installed. For items that you do have the right to redistribute, there are various programs out there that create setups. For example InnoSetup, MS package and deployment wizard (for use with vb6).
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

It's weird though because when I say "distribute" I simply mean I'm giving the DVB program file to others who have the very same LDD installed on their computer. I'm having to dumb my programs down to only incorporate simple components.

Login to Give a bone

Apparently, you're using controls that are not supplied by vba. Which means that you are not simply providing a dvb only, but requiring other parts as well. Using a control does not embed all of its code into your dvb.

Just because controls show up in the controls dialog doesn't mean they come with vba or are free to redistribute. You can check MS for a list of controls that come with vba (which is pretty slim, i.e. you have to "dumb down" or leagally aquire redistributable controls). Its safe to say that its only the ones in the default toolbox. If you stick to those you won't have any problem giving out your dvb. If you browse for others on your pc that other programs installed, then its up to you to make sure that your dvb will work in the environment you place it in and that its legal to do so. That's just part of the job of a developer. Even if you use a setup program like I mentioned before, its up to you to determine what gets placed in the setup and what gets installed under what circumstances. There are just way to many variables for MS to provide a tool that does everything for you. The ones that are provided just handle repetetive stuff.
    C:> ED WORKING....

LinkedIn