Thread: Drawing configuration.

Login to Give a bone

Default Drawing configuration.

I have been using AutoCAD LT 2000 and the operating system, XP Pro for a little over a year.
    I have been using them while permanently connected to the Internet via a cable-modem - and as Administrator.
    I have been doing so via a Linksys BEFSR41 router, getting some sort of hardwire firewall protection from that and running Norton AV 2004 and Ad-Subtract and LavaSofts AdAware.
    These have afforded me protection and by and large dealt with any of the virus attacks and such.

Some very knowledgeable friends - as far as XP Pro is concerned - explained that it is not a good thing to run the PC as the Administrator; it renders the machine open to attacks etc. It's not my field but I know they are well informed on these matters. They explained how to set up, User and Power User second accounts.

I did that and it has all gone relatively well.
    However while using AutoCAD in the Administrator account over the last year, I have gradually got it all nicely set up the way I want it.
    Now, unfortunately when I ran AutoCAD in the Power User account, all my settings have been lost and this second version has reverted to the 'virgin' version of AutoCAD LT 2004 that you get on a first install.

I would dearly like not to have to go through all that setting up of the screen again.
    I feel that there has to be a repository, a file, somewhere in which all the set-up particulars for AutoCAD as I have it in Administrator mode can be copied to the 'virgin' version on the other account.

Is there anyone on AUGI who knows that this can be done and if so would they be kind enough to tell me what the file is called where such setup is stored and if there are any snags to doing this?

Meanwhile I keep using the one I've got, even if it is in Admin account and looking for such configuration switching info in the ACAD Help File.

Thanks, Harry Sigerson.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing configuration.

In the options dialog under the profiles tab, you should be able to export your profile to a file. Then when your logged in to you new account, go back to the profiles and import the file. This should bring in most if not all you settings and customizations.

AUGI Addict

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gpope
    In the options dialog under the profiles tab, you should be able to export your profile to a file. Then when your logged in to you new account, go back to the profiles and import the file. This should bring in most if not all you settings and customizations.
    Glenn,
    Thanks for the reply. In Options the only tab that looks to be the one you called 'Profiles' has to be the one simply called 'Files' .

There is a lot of stuff under that tab. To be honest I don't recognise what most of it does.

There are 11# main headings in that 'Files' tab. I don't suppose it will do a lot of damage if exported the lot to the version in the other account ?

On the main File drop-down menu of AutoCAD LT 2004 there is a command there 'Export..." I guess this is the thing to use to export that ''profiles' tab that is under the 'Option's', to a file of my choice.

On setting about importing the 'profiles' I guess , that an 'Import' command will appear in LT 2004's drop down menu. There isn't one at this moment - just the 'export' one.

As you can see I'm not very sure of things in this area.

Harry.

Login to Give a bone

I don't use LT, but I would think that the options dialog is the same between LT and full blown AutoCAD. Hopefully someone that uses LT can verify this.

If it's there, it should be the last tab in the list. If you don't see it, try expanding the dialog box to a bigger size. Maybe it's hidden off the side. Here is a pic of what mine looks like. They should look very similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Hi Harry

Please note I've *moved* this Topic (Thread) from the AutoCAD Customzation Forum to this one as I believe it would be better served here.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Login to Give a bone

LT doesn't have profiles as full blown AutoCAD users are used to. Here are some quotes from the help file which may be able to help you:

In AutoCAD LT 2004, the location of some of your customized files has changed. Reasons for the file location change include the following:
    • Power user rights on a workstation. AutoCAD LT 2004 supports running AutoCAD LT as a limited-rights user. Part of this work requires customized support files to be moved from C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2004 to the user's profile folder.

• Roaming profiles. AutoCAD LT 2004 supports roaming profiles, which allow you to log on to any computer within the network and retain your user settings. Some files, such as your personal settings and documents, follow you from computer to computer, while other files, such as templates (including Publish to Web templates) and texture maps, reside on your system and cannot be moved.
    If roaming profiles are enabled on your network, your roamable files are located in your \application data\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT 2004 folder, and your non-roamable files are located in the \Local Settings\Autodesk\ AutoCAD LT 2004 folder.

Note In some operating systems, the folders that are located under your profile are hidden by default. To view these files, you may need to turn on hidden files. See Microsoft® Windows Explorer Help to learn how to turn on hidden files for your operating system.