See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Sharing AutoCAD 2007 DWG files with AutoCAD 2005 users

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Sharing AutoCAD 2007 DWG files with AutoCAD 2005 users

Hi to all,

I am the only one so far enjoying the new updates from Version-2005 to New Version -2007 while the rest is still using old versions. Do I need to save the file into an older version format so everyone can open and share the same file in the server without hurting the main file itself? Or is there any other way to share same files with users using old and new versions and maintain same files safely?

Thanks for any possible reply.

Ted (Auto-Cad-2007 user).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sharing AutoCAD 2007 DWG files with AutoCAD 2005 users

As long as the other users are using older versions of CAD you will always have to save it down to an older file format. I recommend setting AutoCAD up to do this automatically through the Options Save Tab.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Sharing AutoCAD 2007 DWG files with AutoCAD 2005 users

Hi

Do the AutoCAD 2005 users have to work on your DWG files or just be able to view them ?

If work on them, go with the information presented by "shadygrafix" ( Sorry, I do not know your real name ), in their above post.

If view them, look at something like...

DWG TrueView

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Due the changes in AC2007 a'desk had to make a new dwg fileformat (dwg2007)

AutoCAD 2005 works with the fileformat (dwg2004) - so you can't open a dwg2007 on an Autocad 2005 or lower. Therefore you will have to save as fileformat 2004 for other user to be able to open your drawing.

For other users to view - Autodesk's Trueview is the thing as already said.

But there is also AutoDesk TrueConvert - also a free programm you can give users (or third parties) where they can convert your 2007 dwg to a lower fileformat. So it all depends a bit on the situation where you are in.

Login to Give a bone

What are the main advantages with this new 2007 file format? Are they any?

It feels to me, like I have just organised most of our inhouse staff and most of our collaborators to move from 2000 format up to 2004 format - still the odd problems though, and suddenly 2007 format comes along.

What can I look forward to in the future to help me motivate myself to changing up to 2007 file format. I did appreciate in 2004 file format, the smaller file sizes, better hatching etc, etc.

Any thoughts?

All AUGI, all the time J. Grouchy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Buffeldrek
    Due the changes in AC2007 a'desk had to make a new dwg fileformat (dwg2007)

AutoCAD 2005 works with the fileformat (dwg2004) - so you can't open a dwg2007 on an Autocad 2005 or lower. Therefore you will have to save as fileformat 2004 for other user to be able to open your drawing.

For other users to view - Autodesk's Trueview is the thing as already said.

But there is also AutoDesk TrueConvert - also a free programm you can give users (or third parties) where they can convert your 2007 dwg to a lower fileformat. So it all depends a bit on the situation where you are in.
    I've been using DWGGateway for converting files down to a format we can use from newer versions of ACAD.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Sharing AutoCAD 2007 DWG files with AutoCAD 2005 users

Thanks to all who respond to my question. It’s been a long time I have no access to my AUGI accounts and make reply to all who responded to my post.

Some users in our company are still using the version-2005 and shared with my file to both view and sometimes they need to copy and create there own file for there own presentation project. Thank you shadygraphix by setting option auto save to older version solve the problem.

I will respond to a follow-up question by garethace. What are the main advantages why they created a 2007 format? We have the same question and probably some one out there will give and clarify on this. Why not just make it universal .dwg so that all users will be given a chance just to open and explore what the new version can do to encourage them to upgrade and enjoy the new tools and features?

Ted (Auto-CAD 2007 user)