Thread: Rails

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Rails

Ok.
    I give up.
    I have a stair with no rails, and I simply want to picking the freakin stair like in ADT to add railing.

How do I do this?

I could stop if I wanted to Rhythmick's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rails

Use the railing tool, use "Set Host" and select the staircase, draw the line in plan view where you want the railing, set it's properties and Finish Sketch.

EDIT:
    When you model the staircase, set the "Railings Type" to have the railing model automatic with the stairs. You may have it set to "none" now.
    Last edited by Rhythmick; 2006-10-18 at 07:51 PM.

Login to Give a bone

1. This s**ks
    2. Did this, but it doesn't place the rail correctly centered on stringer. What if you only want the rail attached to the wall
    3. Had the rail originally drawn, but it was way ugly, so I deleted it.

Much easier in ADT.....OK I won't go there....wish list - add rail to stair. You'd have thunk someone would have come up with this by now.

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Perhaps some screen shots would help us help you. There are also numerous posts on dealing with stairs & railings. Admittedly stairs can be a bit tricky. When hosting a railing to a stair the railing/stair can be picky about where your sketch line is drawn. I typically tell our users to draw the sketch line aligned with the inside face of the stringer (which is the location of the stair sketch boundary sketch line), and use railing offset in railing type properties to correctly locate the railings relative to the stair/stringer & wall.

HTH,
    -R
    Last edited by robert.manna; 2006-10-18 at 08:31 PM.

Login to Give a bone

"Don't think. Do Revit"?
    Kind of an oxymoron, no?

Ok, I will be posting a bunch of screen shots soon. I really want to madel these stairs well.
    They are an all steel stair where the tread and riser are 1/8" metal with a 1/4" bull nose and some interesting rail conditions.

I'm no stair meister in Revir or ADT. In fact I hate the way both programs draw stairs, though Revit is more flexible. It should be more dyma,ic and interactive like stairs in VIZ.

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'll admit to being no big fan either. And in particulary tricky condidtions (with railings & stairs) you have to get creative on how to solve problems. I think the railing tool needs more updating than the stair tool. Generally with the stair tool we can get what we want pretty easily at least for like 1 1/2" sections, but in both cases we have not yet had much success in embedding any sort of fine grain detail into the stair systems. Too many variable condidtions etc. Railings though, on stairs, are by far one of the trickiest things IMHO. Also, if you're in late DD or CD IMHO don't even try using a multi-level stair unless it is completely repatitive, and even then usually the first & last runs can't be part of the multi-level condition as they're unique.

-R

Login to Give a bone

Try drawing your sketch lines over the inside line of the stair stringer. Use "set host" to attach them to the stair. Then use the offset parameter in the railing properties to move the railing around if you need to.

Hope this helps.