Thread: Update / Add data in linked Excel Sheets so it automatically updates in AutoCAD

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Question Update / Add data in linked Excel Sheets so it automatically updates in AutoCAD

I am using Autocad 2006. When I paste an Excel doc. in Autocad It puts in in as an ole object. When I link it I can change the source file. But if I add a new roll to the spread sheet Autocad does not update the table to show the added line it cuts it off.

Is there any way to have Autocad Update the area it looks at in excel???

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Update / Add data in linked Excel Sheets so it automatically updates in AutoCAD

Quote Originally Posted by pangell
    I am using Autocad 2006. When I paste an Excel doc. in Autocad It puts in in as an ole object. When I link it I can change the source file. But if I add a new roll to the spread sheet Autocad does not update the table to show the added line it cuts it off.

Is there any way to have Autocad Update the area it looks at in excel???
    reinsert it and make sure to change the sheet size in your excel file from a 8.5x11 to a custom size of 20x40 or whatever the largest size is ....

conversely, you COULD copy it and paste special as an AutoCAD object to have the spreadsheet transferred into AutoCAD as part of the drawing ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Update / Add data in linked Excel Sheets so it automatically updates in AutoCAD

Hi

Take a look at THIS thread.

Plus, have a browse through the following thread, found in the AutoCAD FAQ (Read only) forum...

Working with OLE (eg Excel) Objects within a drawing file

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I recently had to link some excel sheets into AutoCAD 2005 and when I did such I pasted a few extra blank rows. I placed it into modelspace and then I created a PS viewport just to show the data. I scaled it to 1=1 and the text size was fine. I then sized the viewport to show only the lines of data that were filled in. If I had to add or delete a line in the spreadsheet I would go into the drawing and stretch the viewport so it only showed rows with data. Not a prefect fix but until one comes along I figured this was kind of easy to do.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I found out that when editing a copied, paste special linked to excel table to the drawings, make sure to click the table to open the property palette, change the LOCK ASPECT to "NO"...the table in CAD will update every time you revise the Excel table. Hope this helps.