Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assign xdata to our common drawing template to tell the system to load a LISP routine

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Assign xdata to our common drawing template to tell the system to load a LISP routine

There is probably a better way to do this, or even this might not be possible. We just updated to 07 today, and I found that our IT, who has no clue about AutoCAD created an acad.lsp and acaddoc.lsp and put it in everyones program files/AutoCAD 2007/support file, now, when we get ready to bring all the custom routines back online in a week or two, I have no way to globally update everyones system without going to each one and updating the path.

Is there a way to assign xdata to our common drawing template to tell the system to load a lisp routine?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assign xdata to our common drawing template to tell the system to load a LISP routine

Here we go again....

IMO...

1. Add a local "acad.lsp" to each machine.
    2. This local "acad.lsp" contains one line -> (load "\\network\company_custom\acad.lsp")
    3. "network acad.lsp" sets the support file search path so that "\\network\company_custom" is at the TOP of the support file search path.
    4. From this point on - just about anything that needs to be GLOBALLY controlled can be done so by editing the network copies of "acad.lsp" and "acaddoc.lsp"
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Assign xdata to our common drawing template to tell the system to load a LISP routine

I know how to do that, that is the problem, we have to now go to each machine to add the file that says to change the path, it is kind of what I am trying to avoid. Is there any other way to change the path without going to each machine to add a file to change the path, it would be just as easy to go to each machine and add the path manually.

The hyperlink Idea sounds like it would be a good way to do it, if it is possible
    Last edited by ccowgill; 2006-10-24 at 10:20 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Ok, in that case, just add the following line (edit as necessary) to the Windows logon script for your acad users.

Code:
    echo (load "\\\\server\\share\\acad.lsp"^) > "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2006\Support\acad.lsp"
    That will write a new "local" acad.lsp.

Login to Give a bone

You are way over my level of knowledge. What is the Window's Logon script, does it reside on the server? Is it a file that is accessed when users logon to the network?

Is there a way to use the network deployment to add the additional support path at the top of the list?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill
    You are way over my level of knowledge. What is the Window's Logon script, does it reside on the server? Is it a file that is accessed when users logon to the network?

Is there a way to use the network deployment to add the additional support path at the top of the list?
    The Network Login Script is something that your IT bods will have control over, just tell them the line to add, for one use only at next login and it should be all done. It is their b@lls up, so they can help put it right!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    Ok, in that case, just add the following line (edit as necessary) to the Windows logon script for your acad users.

Code:
    echo (load "\servershareacad.lsp"^) > "C:Program FilesAutoCAD 2006Supportacad.lsp"
    That will write a new "local" acad.lsp.
    now that I have a better clue about what you are saying, my assumption is, that doing this replaces the c: file with the file that is in a particular network folder, correct?

Login to Give a bone

now that I have a better clue about what you are saying, my assumption is, that doing this replaces the c: file with the file that is in a particular network folder, correct?
    That is exactly it.

Login to Give a bone

No, it replace the file with the echoed line.

: ) Happy Computing !

kennet

Login to Give a bone

Sorry about that.... Here are some tips as to what is going on.
    • The "ECHO" command tells DOS to WRITE whatever follows...
    • ...so it WRITES (load "\\server\share\acad.lsp"^) to where ever it's told to. You just need to put a valid path in there.
    • The caret (^) after the last quote mark is needed so that it will write the last quote mark
    • The > tells the command WHERE to write the file.
    • The other side of the > is the file name where it will be written. This should match where your IT guys put the local "acad.lsp" so it will be overwritten with this new one.
    • If you use a double >>, then whatever you are writing will be appended. Otherwise, the file is created from scratch, overwriting anything that currently exists.
    • As mentioned, the windows startup script usually resides on the domain controller, and is usually a DOS BAT file, but it may be a Windows VBS file, in which case you need to get your IT guys to translate that BAT language over to VBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast