See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Change View 'System Family' from 'Floor Plan' to 'Ceiling Plan'?

Standing on the shoulders of giants... in Atlanta
    Login to Give a bone

Default Change View 'System Family' from 'Floor Plan' to 'Ceiling Plan'?

I'm doing multiple sheets for a hotel. Many of these contain two enlarged views of a prototypical guest room design: 1) a floor plan; 2) a reflected ceiling plan. The floor plans are easy enough by creating a callout. But what's the fastest available way to duplicate that callout view and turn it into an RCP?

How I've been doing it:
    1a. Create callout view of floor plan. A view of a single guest room config.
    1. Create a new RCP from the entire floor plan -- in this case the 2nd.
    2. Crop the new RCP down to roughly match the callout floor plan.
    3. Apply a view template.

One way I'd *LIKE* to do it:
    1. Create callout view from floor plan
    2. Change my <<System Family>> Type from <<Floor Plan>> to <<Ceiling Plan>>
    3. Apply my View Template to clean up any other dirty work.
    4. PROFIT!

Can this be done? Thanks,

John K.

Disclaimer: My apologies if this is a redundant post. Struck out with the usual "due diligence" search.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Change View 'System Family' from 'Floor Plan' to 'Ceiling Plan'?

You can't change a Plan like you can a Section or Elevation (though that would be cool). But what you can do is change the View Range of the copy of your callout to match that of a Ceiling Plan (or probably even use your View Template.) It won't be kept under the Ceiling Plans subcategory but then many of us have customized the Browser enough for this not to be too much of an issue.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by greg.mcdowell
    You can't change a Plan like you can a Section or Elevation (though that would be cool). But what you can do is change the View Range of the copy of your callout to match that of a Ceiling Plan (or probably even use your View Template.) It won't be kept under the Ceiling Plans subcategory but then many of us have customized the Browser enough for this not to be too much of an issue.
    That won't work because Plan views are making hidden line removed pictures looking down while RCP (ceiling) views compute hidden line according to bottom-up rules (lower objects obscure object that are higher up).

Login to Give a bone

If you want to have the callout annotation in your RCP as well, you can create a callout in the floor plan view, select the callout annotation and copy it to the clipboard. Switch to the Ceiling plan view and choose Paste Aligned -> Current View. The annotation is pasted, and it creates a new callout view under Ceiling Plans.

An interesting thing occurs if you copy a callout from a floor plan in level 1 to a ceiling plan in level2. When you paste the callout, everything disappears. After a little investigation, I find that it set the top of the View Range to the associated level (instead of Level Above, which it normally is for RCPs) as well as the view depth. However, this is invalid and you cannot get out of the View Range dialog until you fix it. Setting it correct for both the ceiling plan and the new callout view and everything appears. Strange.
    Last edited by Zoltan; 2006-10-23 at 10:33 PM.

Standing on the shoulders of giants... in Atlanta
    Login to Give a bone

Gents,

Thank you all for the quick replies. Do you think this qualifies for the <<Wish List>>?

Best,

jk

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

jk - with the passage of time, has there been any progress made by revit on this issue? i am a new revit user and would love to be able to create ceiling plans from my floor plans. i hope all is well.

ha

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Still cant be switched. But, using scope boxes, and dependant views, it can be done in short order.