See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy detail sheets to other projects ADT 2005

Login to Give a bone

Default Copy detail sheets to other projects ADT 2005

I've seen a lot of people asking about methods for creating detail sheets so I thought I'd share a method I just learned today.

I have four projects that will be using identical detail sheets (why the buildings are not all in the same project is a long story so please just accept the circumstances as a teaching tool) and I've be struggling with the best method for copying the detail sheets from one project to another. I have about a dozen detail sheets; each with up to thirty details per sheet. Each detail is a separate view file with a single model space view.

The detail view files are copied from the original project by dragging them from windows explorer directly into the project navigator (holding the Ctrl key down while dragging will create a copy). The sheet file is then copied to the new project by copying in windows explorer and pasting to the sheets tab of the project navigator. In order to do this the sheets tab must be in the explorer view. For some reason this process keeps the names of all the model space views placed on the sheet but deletes the numbers so each view needs to be renumbered.

Since this process maintains the original external reference paths, I then go to the Reference Manager program and update the paths of all the details to the new sheet. Once this is done all of the detail numbers and titles need to be linked to the new sheet by opening each detail and dragging the callouts to the appropriate detail on the new sheet.

It sounds a bit cumbersome but so far it's the best method I've found. Hope this is clear and helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Copy detail sheets to other projects ADT 2005

Excellent tip Greg!!! This is exactly the type of stuff we want to see in the tips and tricks forum. Keep them coming guys!
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Greg, try this next time............ copy the associated XML with your View drawings. This might carry the numbers with it??

Terry

Login to Give a bone

Interesting. I tried copying the xml file after copying the sheet to the project navigator without any apparent changes. A new xml file is automatically generated when pasting the sheet so I saved over that with the file from the original project and it didn't seem to have any effect. I then copied the xml file to the new project before copying the sheet and I was prevented from pasting the sheet to the new project.

Login to Give a bone

When I opened both the VIEW and SHEET xml files, it appeared that the VIEW xml had the 'linking' information.

I am going to try it when I get to work.

Login to Give a bone

I could not get the linking to copy over........................

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Copy detail sheets to other projects ADT 2005

...Wish I would have seen this post two months ago... We attempted many different things, and ultimately did a similar process as you have described. I tried the Autodesk discussion forums first (with no luck), but didn't even consider checking the AUGI forums... I'll be checking back here more often now!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Bennett
    Excellent tip Greg!!! This is exactly the type of stuff we want to see in the tips and tricks forum. Keep them coming guys!
    Yes great tip but 2005??? That release was so limited when compared to 2006, let alone 2007!!!

Join the evolution folks, don't become dinosaurs...that software is 3 actual years old and in computer time that's nearly ancient!!! oh and BTW it will be extinct in 16 months...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by vjdx
    Yes great tip but 2005??? That release was so limited when compared to 2006, let alone 2007!!!

Join the evolution folks, don't become dinosaurs...that software is 3 actual years old and in computer time that's nearly ancient!!! oh and BTW it will be extinct in 16 months...
    May I suggest you check out the My Feedback Portal? You can cut that leap now by signing up to participate in betas...

LOT's of firms are still on 2005 - it was a rather popular release for some reason...
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Hey, that sounds like a great idea. I'll upgrade immediately. When should I expect to receive your check for $60,000 to cover the cost of the software?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast