See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit and Microstation V8

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit and Microstation V8

I learned from the below thread that Revit will not import work created in Microstation V8.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ostation+revit

I need to know, what is the difference between these files and the DGN files Revit can import? In other words, does it have something to do with parametric objects, older data, or what?

Thanks in advance!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit and Microstation V8

Brian,

It has to do with the file format. MicroStation DGN format changed at version V8 from the same basic format it had been at basically forever(~15+ years). This older format is the one currently supported in Revit. The new V8 format has more and different types and structures of elements and is completely different. This is not anything different from when AutoCAD changes every 2-3 versions now.

As mentioned in the other linked thread, Autodesk has a MicroStation V8 format 2D importer in BETA for AutoCAD 2007 right now.

The rough expectation/desire is that this will eventually be migrated into the core application for AutoCAD 2008 and other same timeframe applications(Revit 10...please?).

Whether this will be fulfilled is another thing....

HTH,
    John

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Revit can only handle MicroStation DGN files up to Version 7. If you are working with a client on MicroStation V8 or XM and need to make use of their files in Revit you can have them either save down to a V7 DGN or a DWG format file.

The V8 upgrade was really the first time that Bentley radically altered it's DGN format. Up until that point a DGN format file created in any version of MicroStation could be opened and edited in any version of MicroStation (a DGN was a DGN). V8 DGN's can not be opened by any previous version of MicroStation without first being saved down to the V7 DGN format. The V8 DGN format basically took away the majority of the limitations the previous DGN format had and greatly enhanced MicroStation's interoperability with the DWG format.

Short-List of new features for MicroStation V8:

Unlimited Undo
    DWG reference and edit capabilities
    No Limits on file size, precision, or number of levels
    Unlimited reference file attachments
    Complete design history . . .

All AUGI, all the time robert.manna's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

When V8 was released Bently re-built the DGN format, totally new. While V8 can open previous DGN files, pre V8 versions of Microstation cannot open V8 dgn files, and they must be back-saved in Microstation. Revit can read/export pre V8, commonly reffered to as V7 dgn files. Our firm is a large Bently shop, and we have found that dwg's work best, and we do not use Revit's dgn support. We do however have Microstation heavily customized to assure that we are exporting very clean DWG's from Microstation, and we have a number of custom tools for working with DWG files in Microstation. All that aside, we have run into some speed bumps, most especially with relation to the fact that our layer standard has all objects set to "by layer" for their line weight, style, and color properties. Which Revit does not fully support. We have also run into some issues with importing text that orginated in Microstation, format not withstanding.

edit: Paul was obviously posting sametime as I was, but we same the same thing more or less.

HTH,
    -R
    Last edited by robert.manna; 2006-10-25 at 01:35 PM. Reason: duplicate info

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

And John beat us both. I don't come across too many other Bentley users in my neck of the woods . . . so I thought I had some extra time to type .

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Andersen
    And John beat us both. I don't come across too many other Bentley users in my neck of the woods . . . so I thought I had some extra time to type .
    Same here, or at least Bentley users with enough knowledge to speak to specifics about the file format. And you and John have me beat, cause I can't ever remember the terminology to explain the "internal folder/file structure" that the DGN format has now.

-R

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Good answers guys, that's what I needed!

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps we should start up a Bentley Support Group, BUA or Bentley Users Anonymous, where we can whine and complain about how difficult the program is to use and how much better our world would be if we switched to Revit. Our structural department just moved the building over a foot and I spent the entire morning moving every dimension and note and detail callout over 1 foot on over 30 sheets because of this change.
    Sorry, a little bit of spite for the morning. Anyway, i am looking forward to the day when Autodesk gets back on the compatibility wagon. Good things I hear about Autocad 2008!

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I was just reading up on Bentley Architecutre, and am planning on downloading the trial just to see what its about, as i like to do when new softwares come out. I thought it was funny though: I posted a brief stint saying as much on my blog, and i was told "pencil and paper would be more productive." That made my friggin day...

Ive certainly felt that way when using certain platforms in the past...

Login to Give a bone

while some of the stuff Bentley is doing is interesting, I find that in some ways their "architecture" is a pain. I was at a Bentley summit where there customers were presenting and it was just so painful to here someone stand up there and say that when implementing BIM "its important to have a good layer standard that takes into account working in 3D with multiple disciplines"! Give me hardcoded categories & custom sub cats any day! That said their federated DB approach is good, and with the improements in linking I think Revit is leaning in that direction (only better). Higher level functionality with regards to links in Revit would resolve a number of issues related to large projects (most especially if MEP connectors were visible through links). The move in '08 to the swapping of groups for links and vice versus is a move towards a high fuctioning federated DB in my opinion. Imagine being able to start a project with massing tools in one file, then slowly break off "chunks" or "systems" into dynamic powerful links.....

-R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast