Thread: Stretch Grip 150 feet away from inserted block?

Login to Give a bone

Question Stretch Grip 150 feet away from inserted block?

Hello to all,

I can not figure out what is causing this problem.

I create a block with a stretch action with a list of distances. When I insert the block all you can see is the Base Insertion grip when you click on the block. If I zoom extents, I can see the stretch grip way off to the right (approx 150 feet away from the block). The Stretch grip works fine, but the location of the grip itself is baffling me.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
    Gary

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Stretch Grip 150 feet away from inserted block?

Quote Originally Posted by zorroxxxx
    Hello to all,

I can not figure out what is causing this problem.

I create a block with a stretch action with a list of distances. When I insert the block all you can see is the Base Insertion grip when you click on the block. If I zoom extents, I can see the stretch grip way off to the right (approx 150 feet away from the block). The Stretch grip works fine, but the location of the grip itself is baffling me.

Any idea what is causing this?

Thanks,
    Gary
    did you happen to move/ scale your geometry in the BE after you added parameters? i have that happen when i forget to build one w/out using 0,0 as the base and try to move it to the correct location halfway thru the process.... i always end up starting over to fix that behavior....
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Stretch Grip 150 feet away from inserted block?

Thanks Chris,

I must have scaled the block in the BE as you stated. After I recreated the block. It works fine.

Gary

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    did you happen to move/ scale your geometry in the BE after you added parameters? i have that happen when i forget to build one w/out using 0,0 as the base and try to move it to the correct location halfway thru the process.... i always end up starting over to fix that behavior....
    I've scaled many blocks inside the BE to get them to go form imperial to metric and vice versa.

The one thing to remember is that just because you've scaled a DB doesn't exempt you from double checking all parameters and actions to make sure they all work as they should. If you take care in the scaling process and make sure that every action and parameter is where it should be, scaling inside the BE is okay. Every one of the metric/imperial block couples I've posted has been done in this manner and they've all turned out okay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by max.sabre
    I've scaled many blocks inside the BE to get them to go form imperial to metric and vice versa.

The one thing to remember is that just because you've scaled a DB doesn't exempt you from double checking all parameters and actions to make sure they all work as they should. If you take care in the scaling process and make sure that every action and parameter is where it should be, scaling inside the BE is okay. Every one of the metric/imperial block couples I've posted has been done in this manner and they've all turned out okay.
    how did you exorcise the acad gnomes?
    Sometimes, i get lost in my own thoughts and need to ask directions to find my way back.
    S&D DB Sharing Forum

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.N
    how did you exorcise the acad gnomes?
    Well, they're still around, but if you check things real carefully, everything should work out fine. Just remember that Visibilities, scales, arrays, flips and moves don't require checking because they attach to drawing objects, not areas.

Stretches (polar or otherwise) require careful rechecking because they all have a box that must go around the area you want stretched. Just make sure that the box is where it's supposed to be (at the end of a line, for example) and that if it's incremented, that the increment is changed to reflect the change in units. This also includes all parameters. Any parameter where you've inputed a limit or a set of values needs to be checked to make sure all the info is accurate. It also needs to be checked to make sure that all units are properly converted. Lookups require the same TLC.

And finally make sure that your block relects the proper change in units. When nothing is selected and you are in the BE, open your properties. Your BE should reflect the block's properties (as you are currently in the block) and there you should see what the units are set to. Change as needed. If you follow all these steps, CAD gnomes will be too scared by your micromanaging to show up and wreak havok on your block.

I sometimes wonder if it's easier to simply re-draw everything from scratch. But doing things this way will help with your understanding of how DBs work and how many different variables you can modify and edit. It'll keep ya on your game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell