Thread: door location based on face of wall rather than centerline.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default door location based on face of wall rather than centerline.

I'm attempting to create a hollow metal door family(s). For stud wall construction, I want the door to centered about the centerline of the wall. This is simple to do. For masonry or cavity wall construction, I want the face of the frame to extend 1/2" beyond the face of the wall. How do I go about doing this? I've tried constraining the dimensions, but the door still comes in with the frame centered about the wall centerline.

All AUGI, all the time davidcobi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: door location based on face of wall rather than centerline.

We draw a named reference plane in section... dimension the reference plane to the face of wall with a parameter... and lock the entire door assembly to the named reference plane.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dduarte
    We draw a named reference plane in section... dimension the reference plane to the face of wall with a parameter... and lock the entire door assembly to the named reference plane.
    We did it a little differently to allow greater flexibility. Same concept but we created a parameter for the distance. Depending on the application (like whether it's in a 12" CMU wall with gyp bd laminated on one side and the gyp bd wraps the to frame), this inset dimension can change from 0" to 1" or whatever. Just another approach. Sample family attached. Never mind the custom parameters - you should be able to deconstruct it and make it work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: door location based on face of wall rather than centerline.

Thanks for the help. I was going down the reference plane path with parameters. The real issue has to do with maintaining a fixed "offset" from the core boundary rather than wall centerline. My wall properties will have an exterior wrap condition, where the exterior finish material wraps back to the core boundary. I want my frame to overlap this intersection of materials by 1".

In testing this out, I also noticed that the exterior wall wrap goes to the wall centerline rather that core boundry.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: door location based on face of wall rather than centerline.

In my wall family, I specified a reference plane aligned with the exterior wall boundary and constrained it to this location. I then checked the "wall closure" property for this reference plane. No matter what wall thickness I insert the door on, the closure distance is always 3" offset from the wall centerline. I assume this is due to the wall thickness of the basic wall used in the door family template being 6".

This means my only options are to wrap back to the wall centerline or to a location offset from the wall centerline. I would think wrapping back to the core boundary would be a common occurrence.

Login to Give a bone

REVIT 2012

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 04:10 pm PDT (GMT-07:00)
    Subject: Changing door placement

Milton,
    Thank you for contacting Ideate Technical Support. I think what you are referring to is the Temporary Dimensions. Go to the Manage tab>>Additional Settings>>Temporary Dimensions. In the Temporary Dimension Properties dialog box change the Doors and Windows section to Openings. Now temporary dimensions will measure to the "jamb" of the door.

Thanks
    Ron Palma
    Ideate Technical Support